Boxing

Harder work for AJ than expected…As tho he wasn’t quite sure of his tactics … Fury still in the box seat for me

Fury is the better, more natural boxer, undoubtedly.

1 Like

Hmmm, dunno.

Just surprised that he didn’t go in for the finish in the fourth…Sets up the Clash of the Titans that we have all been wishing for…Steve Bunce is doing my head in

1 Like

TF claiming that he would knock AJ out within three rounds…Hmmmmm not so sure about that Tyson…

Remember watching that on grandstand or whatever at the time, spellbinding! Boxing is brutal but as a sport its about as pure as it gets and for me that is the peak bit of boxing in my lifetime. I’ve watched it loads of times since and every time it makes me feel awkward but compelled, like watching a fight in the playground. :flushed:

3 Likes

Fuck!! Clearly you went to a rough school.

1 Like

When I watched it the other week it just staggered me - the sheer ferocity from both of them and to be still standing amazed me.

1 Like

I did, very. There were some proper lunatics there.

1 Like

Blood streaming down Hagler’s eye from a cut he thought would get the fight stopped, he went out in the third knowing he had three minutes to knock Hearns out , despite the fact he could barely see.

1 Like

Incredible toughness - it certainly was a golden era.

1 Like

It was. Maybe we’ll never see such riches again.

Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Wilfred Benitez, Ray Mancini, Roberto Duran - all fighting at the same time!

How many current boxers could you put in the same category as them?

Not many is the answer you’re looking for :wink:

4 Likes

When you see that lot written down it’s a mind-boggling array of talent.

How many current boxers are household names for their actual boxing skills these days !

And they’re just off the top of my head, there will be more.

He was a great from a golden era.

2 Likes

Julio César Chávez González…Manny Pacquiao

2 Likes

So so many great boxing matches back then.

I seem to remember the Hearns - Hagler fight was shown live in the Glasgow Apollo at the time. :thinking:

A great photograph taken during the fight

1 Like

Brutal

8 Likes

Mind you my Mum v my sister ran it close when my sister was 17 and stayed the weekend with her boyfriend without telling anyone :rofl:

8 Likes

Closer to home… Finbar Patrick ‘Barry’ McGuigan… Chris Eubank Snr… Lenox Lewis