Boxing

One of the best heavyweights of all time. Really!

1 Like

Whenever the all time great heavyweights are discussed he rarely seems to receive a mention let alone the credit he richly deserves :thinking:

Indeed, yet he had it all. Definitely in my top 3 of all time (only boxers I’ve seen - and NO I didn’t see Jack Johnson fight :grinning:)

2 Likes

Its tough calling a top three Heavyweights…and can fluctuate with further deliberation / Whisky…

Just now…

Muhammad Ali

Rocky Marciano

Lenox Lewis

I never saw Marciano fight, so for me it’s

Muhammad Ali

Lenox Lewis

Evander Holyfield

Nice :+1:…Neither did I…I just have to have an Italian in there somehow…

1 Like

Of heavyweights I saw fight . . .

Ali
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Larry Holmes honourable mention

If you really have a love for the sport, I urge you to watch this lightweight contest for the British title between Ray Cattouse and, a friend of mine, George (hard as fucking nails) Feeney.

George was a proper fighter, his real claim to fame was going the distance against Ray Boom Boom Mancini.

He lost unanimously on points, but Mancini was so generous to George’s effort that he kept in touch with him for many years and sends him a Christmas card every year.

6 Likes

Marciano was to small for this company and he got a lucky decision in his first fight with Roland La Staza.

Proper!

1 Like

Holyfield - Bowe :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Proper indeed! He’s a lovely bloke but didn’t earn as much as he should have and ended up as a “bouncer” in a Hartlepool nightclub. Obviously, his slight stature made him a target for the local meatheads but invariably, if they caused trouble, he put them down with one punch.

His brother, John, was British Bantamweight champion and I went to see him fight at Wembley Arena where he won an overwhelming points decision. He was a classic boxer rather than a fighter and should have achieved even more than he did.

They were known as the fighting Feeneys and were the first brothers to hold British titles at the same time.

4 Likes

Hmmmm what about the other 48 David…just got lucky I guess

Total fights 49
Wins 49
Wins by KO 43
Losses 0
1 Like

Indeed. He was big enough at the time.

1 Like

An old friend (Roy) who was a good 15 years older than me and a boxing nut could never let a conversation about heavyweights go by without mentioning Teófilo Stevenson and how they tried to set up a fight with Muhammed Ali.
I used to get pissed quite regularly with Roy and heard the story many times!

1 Like

A lost art seemingly these days.

1 Like

Its a little like watching Rugby Union back in the days of JPR Williams and David Duckham compared with todays monsters

1 Like

Although it was never going to happen, it was a mouthwatering proposition. I have to think that Ali’s professional experience would have won the day, but we’ll never know.

3 Likes

Nice ninja edit!
I knew who you meant though!

1 Like

Very much this!

1 Like