Companies you will never ever do business with again

Thread winner.

3 Likes

Big businesses screw up, they all do. In the main I don’t hold grudges that negatively affect me. I really can’t think of a large company I wouldn’t use if it suits me. (Maybe I will given some more time)

Despite Mazda selling me a total shitter (having read the Internet turns out a batch of cam shafts weren’t heat treated correctly causing premature failer and metal bits in engine, my car’s VIN was in said batch) their service and warranty we’re fantastic.

I really dislike Ryanair but will use them for business travel if the only alternative is a 2 stop indirect flight.

BT have left me without broadband for a week four years ago moving house, but didn’t move supplier because they are all equally capable of doing that.

Small, independent business however are another matter entirely, can think of several I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.

1 Like

oh dear … had dinner with a senior chappie from hastings direct at a wedding recently

kevin said
Why does any one ever accept this warranty nonsense?
When this has happened to me I go back to the retailer I bought it from
They always quote ‘out of warranty’
I ask who the warranty is with, they always reply ‘the manufacturer’
I tell them that I am not interested in that, I do not have a contract with the manufacturer I have a contract with them.
Sale Of Goods act they have to supply an item of merchantable quality. A washing Machine/TV/Camera that only last 18 months is not of merchantable quality.
They sold it to me, they are responsible for supplying a replacement.

It always involves a succession of managers and then head office and on one occasion me finally telling their legal dept I would start proceedings through the small claims court but they have always settled

Which magazine are always banging on about this and i agree

EON leccy. Tried twice to Uswitch from these rip off merchants and save over 500 quid. Twice its failed as our home is registered as a business on the electric consumer database. It isn’t.

Payment Sense. If you take credit/debit payments DO NOT use. Returned one of their card machines. 3 months later they take over 1300 quid out of our account.
When I not surprisingly kicked off they stated they never received it. As they are well known for this scam we’d kept the postal receipt very safe.
Numerous emails & phone calls, various departments blaming each other, we’ve got a refund
Probably spend 10% of my working week sorting out other peoples fuck ups.

1 Like

In my perfect world everyone would have to work two years of retail/customer service, sort of a National Service :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

wow thanks for the warning

1 Like

Funnily enough we use them and have had no problems yet - but will look out for this one!
However, DON’T ever use Handepay. In their tiny print it stipulates that you’re locked into a 5 year contract. If you want to cancel you have to give one year’s notice - if you’re not quick enough this rolls into another 5 year contract…

1 Like

The European Directive 1999/44/EC says all EU countries have to ensure a retailer could be held liable for all “non-conformities” which manifest within two years from delivery.

HOWEVER because the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) meets or exceeds most of the directive’s requirements, this overrides the EU directive. The act requires three things:
the goods

1. must be as described
  2. they must be of satisfactory quality, which is determined by description, price, durability, freedom from minor defects
  3. they must be fit for purpose

Because manufacturers tend to give one year’s warranty on goods, retailers will usually push you in their direction if the product breaks inside the first year.

S please note; SOGA provides cover for goods bought for up to six years – in England and Wales - I think Scotland is 5 years.

My daughter’s expensive Alienware laptop died after 25 months bought direct, quoted the above to Dell support (that now own the brand) and they rolled over straight away and fixed.

Some scum like Game say their T&Cs override the SOGA, he ha easy small claims court win!

2 Likes

Virgin…and Sky the omnishambles of trying to get a TV set up in another room as been off the scale and I am deeply scarred. Each time I give up on one the other fucks me over even more. Sadly I probably have to choose one.

A young Mr. MWS sent off for these

I never received them - I had such plans

Fuck you small ads.

6 Likes

Weird that you got into hifi.

1 Like

yes virgin for us have been superb but had a number of folks who had problems . mind you one of them was caused by me and my son who put up a new fence . oh dear , that nice fragile cable just got sliced in half which was 3 inches below the lawn !!! the poor old elderly neighbours had to wait a fair while till it was fixed . fortunately they did not charge as it should have been buried deeper . it now runs topside along the fence

1 Like

Cheap bodged solution caused by a cheap bodged installation.
When they ran a cable through my parents front garden my dad insisted it was in a plastic cable pipe and they left a draw wire in. They bitched and moaned about it but put it in eventually.

I think it depends on which co originally pulled the cable. Ours was done by NTL and they used conduit by default.

I think you are right, Most of these installations were done by sub-contractors and they were looking to do a quick job and on to the next one, my Dad was in the building trade and insisted they did a competent job, the fact that they did so after arguing the toss with no extra cost would make me think that was the standard specified by Virgin or NTL in the first place.

yes , i noticed in one house the conduit was a big green tube which is far safer . i think ours is just the fragile cable that is just impregnated across the lawn so easily cut by a gardener when it reaches the edge of the lawn . at least the BT one before was that think mettallic coated cable

Virgin media used to pay a flat fee for installation, doesn’t matter how difficult or far it was, hence the half arsed installations.

1 Like

The phone cable to our village was laid by BT just under the surface. Council ride on grass cutting machine hit the manhole cover, blade snagged on the cable and boom.
Looked much like an act of terrorism.
Open Reach repaired it but instead of burying the new junction box they left it above ground. Cue grass cutting season and the village is phone/internet less for days again.

Do a shit job, you do it twice. No wonder productivity is so low.

1 Like

To be fair, doing the same job every year is great for productivity, but rubbish for efficiency!

1 Like