Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

I’ve got the Simplify brewer on the way (from Japan so may be awhile) and that is apparently a single pour device with no bloom. Will see how that goes when it arrives.

Will look it up!

1 Like

Want one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timemore/timemore-electric-coffee-grinder/

Just ordered the 078s £410 seems…good

3 Likes

Aside from obvious, I like the aesthetic

Wow that’s low there £574.37 on AliExpress

3d printed drip tray with recessed scale, courtesy of Coco Industries.

18 Likes

Pretty decent

Lopwell shots shaping nicely

2 Likes

So having got my brews to a pretty good place (still not convinced they’re objectively good but they taste good to me - I live in fear of making one for you guys and you spitting it out in disgust like WTFITS, but I digress) I think I need to get a temp controlled kettle. I’ve been using a stove top one with a built-in thermometer, but am finding it hard to get the temperature exact and keep it steady. E.g. the 4:6 method recommends a temp of 83C for dark roasts - I’m tending to get 80 or 85+ unless I stand there making fine adjustments to the heat and taking time to get it exact. Life’s too short. And also with leaving 45s between pours, the water starts to cool down.

Anyway, I don’t really want to spend over £100 on one. Anyone know if the Dualit below is the best for the budget? In Hoffman’s kettle review video, his only criticism was that it pours a bit too fast. Being a bit of a malco, I do have a tendency to overpour as it is, so this could be bad for me. Does anyone know if this would work, or if, as the name suggests, it’s only for Brewista kettles? Maybe I just need to be more careful. Or are there other suggestions?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualit-Pour-Over-Electric-Kettle/dp/B08QW5KB6Q/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_w=XZDxT&content-id=amzn1.sym.2d229339-2f42-4596-a90d-b81a4f52d6d3&pf_rd_p=2d229339-2f42-4596-a90d-b81a4f52d6d3&pf_rd_r=GA069YMRQGR3JQMT9SDT&pd_rd_wg=E8mMk&pd_rd_r=ec12e8a0-2320-422d-ad1f-6b0a77bb4daa&pd_rd_i=B08QW5KB6Q&psc=1

Use light roasts then!
I never look at 83C and use a manual kettle with thermometer, as long as it is in ‘the green’ I get good results, I haven’t found a few degrees to be critical.

The biggest bang for buck is in the grind.
Adjustments to the grind make ALL the difference.
A decent grinder is probably the most important bit of equipment in the process.
((I am not talking espresso machines here, as the post was about pour over).

Dark roasted pour overs are quite unusual, but if you like them you like them.

Ok maybe I’ve got it wrong, but following from a previous post where I asked about how to know if beans are roasted light or dark:

You said:

So for that coffee (Horsham Fazenda Inhame) that’s what I did. For the next one that I’m currently using (Caravan Market Blend), the beans were darker coloured so I took that to mean they were dark roasted. The Kasuya guide I’ve been following suggests around 93C for light, 88C for medium, 83C for dark roasts. I don’t see a way of specifying the roast type on the websites.

Btw the green band (I have the same kettle) is from 90-100C.

I have that kettle, which I bought from John Lewis to get some kind of guarantee!

I really like it. It’s nice to hold, pours well and the temperature control system is good enough. It replaced a Brewista that cost a fair bit more and broke shortly after the warranty ended (Brewista didn’t even reply to my email).

Use light roasts with pour over :blush:

If you use your current kettle and just adjust the grind, as mentioned, then you will be fine. if it’s hotter than recommended just grind coarser.

I’d also say to definitely try a light roast. I went coarser with my grind than I thought would be good, with a very light roast, only to get very nice flavour (to me).

Argh but how do I know?!

Where does it say here whether it’s light or dark?

You can only tell by looking but the tasting notes will give you clues. More dark chocolate references = darker.

TBH, I doubt even that Horsham one is more than medium roast.

Yep, had some before and I would say a light medium

:+1: In that case @josh just boil your kettle and start pouring.

1 Like

Latest beans from Smith Street.

First shot, 18g for 36g shot in 38secs, so needs a slightly courser grind.
Get the cinnamon and lemonade notes, lemonade being a bit weird if im honest.

1 Like

And delivery of my Lagom P64 is delayed :sleepy: