Dicking about with crap old cars

Pretty sure it’s the supercharger, it’s a common issue, the water pump is driven off the super charger by a set of gears and they fail.

If it’s not the supercharger it probably means find a used complete engine.

Edds workshop diaries, excellent!

It’s looking like the photos of the Lego Land rover build

Have you got access to an impact driver? Even a normal driver on masonry setting with the clutch set to slip at high torque?

Yeah, middle of Lidl special.

1 Like

Is it back together yet?:grinning:

No because it’s not the super charger, need to pull the engine probably.

Arse, set fire to it.

Edit: I’ve got a hoist if you need one.

Don’t you think that might be rather painful?

3 Likes

I like the way it does not stop, usually they light them then hop around a bit.

With our Passat estate showing signs of age, picked up a replacement yesterday. Octavia vRS.
Seems tidy, goes well & not stupidly spendy. I think the engine’s much as was used in the MkV Golf GTi so it seems reasonably quick for a 2L estate.

14 Likes

@Tons_of_fun that’s the one I was on about.

Guy at work years ago managed to get the saloon as a company car and it went like shit off a shiny shovel.

Really nice cars. Dead practical too.

Is it the diesel ? I had the series 1 1.8t petrol. Cracking car.

No it’s the 2L petrol. The Passat is the 2.5 V6 TDi so when I get the chance to see properly it’ll be interesting to compare. The Skoda does feel more nimble.

1 Like

Think the vRS is a 2.0 Turbo engine

May be slightly more nimble and pokey than a 2.5 Tdi (obvs not Astra levels)

Yes it has 40 bhp more than the TDi & is supposedly 2.5 secs quicker to 60. I haven’t tested any of that yet mind! Does feel eager though.

Is 0 - 60 even a thing these days, with so so electric cars doing it sub 6: seconds and premium 4’ish seconds ?

Ask @Jim , he’s the expert on it

3 Likes

This is a thread about cut price sheds not expensive milk floats!

1 Like