Dicking about with crap old cars

This is true; I apologise unreservedly.

1 Like

Bought meself a cam belt and assorted gubbins for the Alfa.
Need a tdc gauge next and I can proceed to break the fuck out of the engine. Never done a belt before. Looks easy on the videos. ‘Specially when all the bolts come off easy peasy. Bolts don’t come off easy peasy on 25 year old cars. They make you swear a lot.

2 Likes

What could possibly go wrong? You’ll be fine. Good luck. :grinning:

It always does…

Managed an oil change on the wife’s car at the weekend. Feeling confident.

Think I will take my time. Check things many times. Take pictures and that sort of thing. Maybe label stuff.

1 Like

Far safer to mess around with an area where if you fuck it up, the car won’t move, than an area which means the car won’t stop.

1 Like

Make sure you use exactly the right size sockets and spanners.

That will be the fun part as can’t see some of them. Will be very careful.
Will probably do it over a few weekends.

Must buy new coolant first. Mot not til early April so could do with it all done well before then so I can use it for a bit first. Handbrake likes a bit of use before a mot. And the emissions weee a bit high the other year. Put some fancy petrol in it and did a bit of spirited driving about and passed easily.

Only advice I would give is change all the idler and tension pullies plus the water pump at the same time.

Got all those. Not going to change the variator though, as it is very spendy and was changed 10k miles ago.

2 Likes

As mentioned before to Terry, my plumber mate up the road has a VW work van.

13 Likes

Narelle would settle for that :grinning:

1 Like

Bogus post, you don’t have any mates.

3 Likes

:sob::sob::sob:

Alfa passed the mot with nowt needing doing. Couple of bush slight movements on the advisories.
Happy enough with that. Now for cam belt change.

6 Likes

I won’t be dicking about with it but I did buy this yesterday.
1 previous owner , full Honda service history. Drives lovely. Finally ran out of patience with my 3008.

6 Likes

I had the previous gen to that. I bought it with 140k on the clocks and it just ran and ran until I sold it 4 years later with 170k. Towed our caravan all over France and Belgium.

That model still has the picnic table in the boot as well I think.

1 Like

It does , never been used. This one is on 113k. 2.0 auto. I had the HRV before before Peugeot and regret selling it. It’s still going at 168k.

1 Like

Saw this MkII GTI when I was out with the dog. Pretty rare car these days I would think.

That looks fooked. Neighbour from previous home had one. That was pretty mint and a nice little car.
Not sure if anything is salvageable from the pink one.