Diet and Fitness

Son and I both passed our orange belt grading today. Great day -train trip to the head dojo and out for lunch after - he did great, very proud.

3 Likes

Lost 1 kg over the last 2 weeks. Bake off yesterday didnā€™t help but I enjoyed myself. Anyway onwards and upwards.

4 Likes

When I was dieting Iā€™d find that sometimes a single isolated half-day binge didnā€™t really affect my weight. It was as if the gut didnā€™t have time to get over the surprise and missed the chance to stash the calorie burst away. 3 days off the rails did though.

VB

I missed a day down the gym as well. Last Thursday I was 82.8kg today 83kg. Really disappointed.

Donā€™t worry Dave, youā€™re heading in the right direction, and I canā€™t stress this enough, weight loss is rarely linear.

1 Like

Donā€™t be. My weight can easily vary by +/-0.5kg or more depending on how much water Iā€™m retaining (which varies with a lot of things) and when I last took a dump. Even averaging over 14 days doesnā€™t eliminate the noise completely. Your ā€˜averagedā€™ weight could easily be closer to 82kg now despite the 83kg measurement blip.

VB

1 Like

You are right Wayne I just have to keep to the programme. In April I have a Tv shoot another bake-off and a birthday lunch so I will have to be disciplined.

1 Like

Just inedvertently discovered a new diet; buy food you hate the taste of.
Bought sushi, tried it, hated it, hence a very light lunch.

Any suggestions for tomorrow?

2 Likes

Cheap bakewell tarts

1 Like

A big bag of tripe and nothing else

2 Likes

I have limits.

Always feel cheated by those ā€˜wafer thinā€™ imposters

1 Like

Was timed for press-ups by my niece yesterday when helping her with her gymnastics conditioning. I managed 28 in a row using the floor. My best yet and seemed much easier than the handles even though I try no to stretch too far with the handles I must be. Was pleased though. It was a 1 minute timer and I got wrong for not being able to complete any in the last 5 seconds lol

2 Likes

I love (proper) sushi, id happily live on were it not excruciatingly expensive to consume the amount of food I need.

2 Likes

To be fair, I was in a rush so just grabbed it from ā€˜wasabiā€™, need to try more from elsewhere I think

I am trying really hard at the moment to focus and not try to progress in too many areas at once.

Short(ish) term goals- build an adequate base of strength, conditioning and flexibility and (related to this) sort my left knee niggles

Went to the physio- nothing fundamentally broken in my knee and what Iā€™m doing (karate and kettlebells) is good- my left glute still has poor strength in one plane and heā€™s given me exercises to build that up- If I do that and make sure and recover adequately between workouts and knee should adapt and niggles should be sorted. Suggested icing after karate and dropping running until the knee is sorted because it probably doesnā€™t leave enough time for recovery and is quite a pounding for it.

He did say that martial arts generally donā€™t strictly build strength because the muscle contractions are too fast/short, so my decision to supplement with KB workout was good. That said, I suspect the KB workout I do is skewed towards ā€œconditioningā€ but I am getting stronger. I particularly struggled with the rows and overhead press and I can now do them with a 16kg whereas I struggled with a 12kg originally. The workout is starting to feel a bit easier, but I still had to pause for a few secs between the final two sets of the last round (last week I was having to pause to recover between every exercise in the last round!)

So, at the moment Iā€™m doing karate twice a week and KB workout one day. Went for a fairly easy 30 mile ride last night.

I was wondering about introducing a core workout like this one, and Iā€™d quite like to work on building up push ups and pull ups, but resisting overdoing things :joy:
https://experiencelife.com/article/core-circuit-workout/

3 Likes

The late Arthur Jones would approve, and much more pointedly.

Thereā€™s still a lot of ā€˜it dependsā€™ but I like the focus on training efficiency. Iā€™ve never understood this obsession with volumes of sets over and above training intensity and frequency opportunity.

80% of 1RM is a fair intensity so less can work. I can only stand about 30 to 40 mins currently it seems. Not sure what 1RM percentage Iā€™m working at to be honest but I think itā€™ll be reasonably high.

I was doing Upper and Lower split but Iā€™m now trying Push/Pull/Legs so 3 times per week now instead of two but last week was my first week and I was ill so only managed two sessions and Iā€™ve now missed my first Pull session so not doing too good.

1 Like

45 mins of heavy lifting is more than enough. 3, max 4 times a week.

Im doing Mon Tues Thus Fri.
Stuck at it for 6 months solid now with just the occasional full week off.
Got my dead lift up to 133% of BW, which im quite happy with, no intention of going heavier than that.

2 Likes