Diet and Fitness

I don’t care about maximising gainz, so good to know that it’s not wasted effort if I did something once a week :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually- I would much rather be out on the bike (or at karate, or even running… :joy:), but I am convinced that it’ll be better for me in the long run if I build and maintain an adequate level of strength/ conditioning and flexibility. …also convinced that this will mean I’ll actually get more out of the pursuits that I get more enjoyment from :stuck_out_tongue: Not sure what “adequate” is, but I know it’s more than I have at the moment :stuck_out_tongue:

My goal at the moment is to be able to do the KB workout I’ve been doing with a 16kg KB.

2 Likes

I think you are ill, this can’t be right!!

1 Like

Ok- maybe that’s a bit of a stretch- I don’t miss running having dropped it as part of knee recovery plan :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My weight is down slightly from start of the year (~10.75 stone to ~10.5) and I look leaner (although probably leaner than my waist measurement would suggest, which hasn’t gone down that much- maybe 0.5 inch or so) and more muscle condition (which wasn’t hard :joy: ).

2 Likes

I’m probably around the same weight. Bought some jeans the other day and couldn’t sit down as they were too tight in the thigh haha

I’m hoping it’s the training! Probably just the crap jeans though.

Back at the physio today- good progress strengthening the muscles that should help my knee cope with my chosen activities. My knee’s definitely not been as aggravated by karate or cycling the last couple of weeks. Even when I noticed it the next day there’s been no pain at rest and no pain/discomfort when going up and down stairs. Progression with new resistance band exercises to help both cycling and karate. Possible we might get to the point that my knee is no issue whatsoever, but at worst it should be a minor niggle when I overdo things. Basically I should be sensible.

He said that many of the resistance band exercises that he gave me way back when I first saw him were now irrelevant because I wasn’t fat. Diplomatically, but I’ve seen him for so long he’s got a good sense of what he can and can’t say to me so not that diplomatically :wink:

Fucking uncomfortable all over from karate last night. I feel like there isn’t a single muscle in my body that didn’t get worked.

1 Like

Away on holiday next week so I think I’ll just rest other than the physio exercises, rather than worrying about trying to squeeze stuff in.

I’m going to attempt the KB workout tomorrow since there was an improvement last week despite feeling totally fucked, but I expect to struggle.

Forced myself to do it- possible marginally better than last week but still wasted by the end. Certainly no worse than last week. Time for a rest week I think. I felt rotten yesterday and I think it was just from pushing myself, since I felt better this morning.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking a bit about my strength goals. I want to be “strong enough” but how strong is that?

I found this article. What do people think of the benchmarks and how long do you think it would realistically take to get to e.g. level 1 (from a reasonably fit but no strength training base)? Appreciate there’s a good chance that’s essentially impossible to answer :stuck_out_tongue:

https://atomic-athlete.com/concept-how-strong-is-strong-enough/

I’m aiming for 2 x bodyweight backsquat and nearly there. Not too caught up in it though.

1 Like

I think the vital point made in the article is whether additional strength is needed or just wanted. It’s a tough process, especially as you get older so it needs an imperative that is pretty compelling.

Also they missed off Level 7 athletes - gymnasts :wink:

1 Like

Gymnastics is tough!

I guess even the lowest level is still their benchmark for someone that’s looking to compete at a high level, albeit in a less strength-dependent sport. I guess the benchmarks for the non-competitive would be lower?

Lost another 1.9kg over the last 2 weeks. Total so far in two months:- 9.4kg. I now weigh 81.1kg!

3 Likes

You’ll be too gaunt and thin for the ‘loveable grandpa’ parts soon Dave. Careful what you wish for.:+1:

1 Like

I will stop when I have taken off 2 stone. I have another 4 weeks to go to achieve that goal.
I’m getting fitter and stronger (weights) which can’t be a bad thing.

2 Likes

I did Eastenders Friday so the lean and hungry look maybe the thing. :skull:

4 Likes

Big part Dave ? Mrs VB’s a fan - should I ask her to keep an eye out ?

VB

It was, but it’s getting smaller :smiley:

2 Likes

Not a big part Graeme and will be shown Monday 3 June.

2 Likes