DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

Yeah, they all say that when they first appear. Then they meet Stronzetto …

Before you know where you are you’ll be round the Devon fire pit or clinging to a rock face in Yorkshire.

VB

1 Like

Welcome Rob :+1:

Your membership would have been lost in the first Great Immolation. Welcome (back) Rob.

Yes never had a single driver speaker here before and they are hardly the most glamourous looking but never played so much female vocal before .slightly toppy in my attic room but more than makes up for it in other ways

Well, some progress :smiley: Good and not so…

Had a great tidy-up and sort out in the workshop in the past two-weeks, loads more room now to actually make stuff!

Workshop by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And also just picked up a Makita LXT Router, as I have a few other LXT products. Its a great little thing, made up a quick circle cutter out of mdf which worked OK, although I need to refine it a little as its a bit rough.

The new Supravox 165-2000 AlNiCo drivers arrived as well, the Good is they are well matched, the bad is the Qe is well out of spec meaning the Qts is around 1.2 rather than around 0.7.

Initial impressions are Build is very ‘Solid’ if a bit rough around the edges, I know Supravox are a small artisan company in France but for the price I would expect the finish on the chassis to be a little more smooth, or less agricultural :stuck_out_tongue:

Supravox 165-2000 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And measured with a Dayton DATS:

Supravox 165-2000 (1) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

For reference, Supravox Website:
Fs : 70Hz Re : 4.1Ω Qts : 0.78 Qe : 0.9 Qm : 6 Vas : 40 L Bl : 3.2 Cms : 1.1 Mms : 4.9 g Sd : 165 cm2

2 Likes

Great to see you posting here mate :+1:

Somewhere warm and dry in the run up to Winter :smiley:

1 Like

Warm maybe, dry never!

Always moist.

3 Likes

Qts will probably change as they run in.

The Qms will come down, I gather but the Qes will not change?
Which is the main parameter that is knocking everything else out. The Mechanical parameters seem pretty consistant its just the Qes.

Those sort of surrounds take years to wear in.

Push them in and out a bit and measure it again :slight_smile: made a difference on the drivers I was messing with.

Busy afternoon!

New front baffles from lovely 21mm Birch Ply (off eBay, cheaper to order, cut to size from Germany than it was at my local Travis Perkins…)
Driver rebating was much better on the second one, very happy!

Build by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Showing the original baffle now cut out.

Build by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And in the room

Little and Large!

Little and Large by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

12 Likes

Got a link?

Here, they cut to size which is handy for me as I don’t have a circular saw or the space to cut up full size panels.
The quality is excellent too, no voids in the plywood too.

2 Likes

Up to 30mm thick as well, nice

I have assembled my new Vibration platform and I am pleased with the result. Made from 400 x 300 x 20mm thk. Acrylic. Footers are Newport Corporation mini footers with adaptors (4off). It looks nice installed under my t/t and I think it sounds better but it is hard to do an A/B test. I will try to send piccies.

4 Likes

t looks like my CD player needs a new laser assembly as it has been skipping on different CD’s with increasing regularity - is this something I could attempt myself or is it best to leave to a professional. Any suggestions as to a good repair company would be greatly appreciated :+1:

It’s a Canor Audio CD2 VR+ and uses a Philips CD drive - model L1210/65

Cheers