DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

Brilliant, each onebigger than an engine block :grin:

They drove my LVs very nicely

4 Likes

Operation “Put all hifi into Modushop cases” part 7: SUT. With a tag board for easier wiring and loading, with the option of faffing with Zobels on the output if necessary (Sowter 8055s need them according to some, but I don’t really have the equipment to check).

5 Likes

Pleased with myself a quick job this morning I have replaced the very noisy fan on my bass amp (behringer Inuke) with a silent F8 artic fan that actually did exactly what it said on the tin - Even with my ear to the unit I cannot hear the new fan kick in. Somewhat amazed because the stock fan was annoyingly noisy. Just to be safe I also added a heatsink atop each of the power chips. More than 15db reduction achieved.

![IMG_20190916_091319|375x500]

12 Likes

Cbeebies radio has a programme called iSpy which uses stereo as part of it (i.e. directional clues). This means that KettleJnr1 obviously needs something to play it through…

As usual it is KMTech gainclone bits packed with a finest parts bin selection to go in a MiniDissipante with Speakon and PowerCon connectors on the basis that not being able to be pulled out is more important than any foo considerations.

Coupling caps not in yet as I don’t have any suitable 1uF kicking around. Might use that as an excuse for a HFC order, or could just use 0.68s as I doubt the range from 7-10Hz will be that useful.

3 Likes

Does anybody have a copy of this or know if it is worth a read?

I have finally got around to making a rough test 4’ x 2’ acoustic panel from 50mm Rockwool for my very lively room. Just adding one panel plus a rug and and mattress to the room has made the sound more relaxing. I now need to find some more wood and fabric covering to make lots more of them

I got fabric from Ikea for mine

1 Like

I have bought myself some cotton dust sheets used by decorators for covering my panels. I have recovered the test panel with it -It all looks OK. The wood should arrive on Monday

I am using the cushions from our garden furniture to help understand how many panels that I need to make.
Currently I probably have equivalent of eight 1200 x 600 x 50mm absorbers scattered around - It all sounds really nice and finally I am getting close to satisfied.
I suspect I will add myself a few bass traps as well.

2 Likes

I did this one years ago,but didn’t use it as a bass trap

3 Likes

Did it not come with any felt tips so you could colour it in?

10 Likes

Acoustic panel update - After spending the whole morning moving several tonnes of cowshit across a long wet and muddy lawn my delivery of wood arrived. So I have quickly knocked up four more panels for the walls. With a total of six panels plus a rug the RT60 time dropped from 0.9s to 0.4s adding a few large cushions got the reverb down to a to 0.3s - A suggested ideal time for home audio.

Initial first impressions were “are the tweeters working?” so very good.
to keep the postage low I bought enough material for seventeen panels. Everything including screws £10.61 per panel.

5 Likes

Looks good Andy, great work! :smiley:

1 Like

Have we got some dates for the devon mp meeters to go full on red ruby yet?
@Ruprecht
@stu
@murrayjohnson
@Nick_Dartmoor

Just saying

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder - message sent

And @kernow

1 Like

Ahh yes sorry sean

You should hire some children to decorate them, Jackson Pollock style. I’m sure @ruprecht can loan his out for an afternoon.

1 Like

Up for it!

1 Like

Today I constructed four 100mm thick bass traps using same method as before making a total of 13 panels - These bass traps have helped further reduce the RT60 numbers.

1 Like