DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

Does anybody have a copy of this or know if it is worth a read?

I have finally got around to making a rough test 4’ x 2’ acoustic panel from 50mm Rockwool for my very lively room. Just adding one panel plus a rug and and mattress to the room has made the sound more relaxing. I now need to find some more wood and fabric covering to make lots more of them

I got fabric from Ikea for mine

1 Like

I have bought myself some cotton dust sheets used by decorators for covering my panels. I have recovered the test panel with it -It all looks OK. The wood should arrive on Monday

I am using the cushions from our garden furniture to help understand how many panels that I need to make.
Currently I probably have equivalent of eight 1200 x 600 x 50mm absorbers scattered around - It all sounds really nice and finally I am getting close to satisfied.
I suspect I will add myself a few bass traps as well.

2 Likes

I did this one years ago,but didn’t use it as a bass trap

3 Likes

Did it not come with any felt tips so you could colour it in?

10 Likes

Acoustic panel update - After spending the whole morning moving several tonnes of cowshit across a long wet and muddy lawn my delivery of wood arrived. So I have quickly knocked up four more panels for the walls. With a total of six panels plus a rug the RT60 time dropped from 0.9s to 0.4s adding a few large cushions got the reverb down to a to 0.3s - A suggested ideal time for home audio.

Initial first impressions were “are the tweeters working?” so very good.
to keep the postage low I bought enough material for seventeen panels. Everything including screws £10.61 per panel.

5 Likes

Looks good Andy, great work! :smiley:

1 Like

Have we got some dates for the devon mp meeters to go full on red ruby yet?
@Ruprecht
@stu
@murrayjohnson
@Nick_Dartmoor

Just saying

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder - message sent

And @kernow

1 Like

Ahh yes sorry sean

You should hire some children to decorate them, Jackson Pollock style. I’m sure @ruprecht can loan his out for an afternoon.

1 Like

Up for it!

1 Like

Today I constructed four 100mm thick bass traps using same method as before making a total of 13 panels - These bass traps have helped further reduce the RT60 numbers.

1 Like

They look good, any pics of where they are placed?

Edit: I just scrolled up!

Almost there, just need to wire in a blue LED of course.

5 Likes

A busy day with lots of cutting wood the result is a mock up of my new DIY speaker plans.

Lots to do still.

8 Likes

Looking good Andy :smiley: 2x 15" per side?

That’s it. The middle section is to be easily swappable.
When complete the model will be named the TTA 9000A (Tidier Than Adam’s)

3 Likes