DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

Latest addition is two bass traps - Insulation thickness 600 x 600 x 470 deep on wheels of course - They seem quite effective from 200hz down to 50Hz -Quite large though.

4 Likes

Stage 1 of construction.

15 Likes

One of the more impressive aspects of the Nobsound M77 kit was the switching of its inputs via relays. It works really well. Where is this board from? Also which valve have you chosen for the o/p stage? 6SN7?

It is the World Designs board as used in the Pre 3 kit.

Yup. Don’t have any yet, so the plan is to get a cheap burner to deal with the initial chance of explosions through idiocy testing stage and then get something nice once it is definitely working properly.

1 Like

Can anybody recommend some nice capacitors (10uF) for a PassDIY B1 buffer pre?

Clarity caps?
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/claritycap.html

1 Like

Think @sjs uses clarity caps in his preamps but I was reading a diyaudio thread the other week about the B1 buffer and a guy was raving about jantzens

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/001-7060-10uf-100v-jantzen-alumen-z-cap.html

Ta, Troels also raves about the alumen-z in crossovers.

I have no idea if it makes a difference whether they are being used in crossovers or line level stuff

All capacitors sound the same.

1 Like

Trolley full of Trolls

4 Likes

Build a DCB1. No caps. Otherwise Ansar super sounds or clarity caps.

I think the one I have here has Jantzens in.

Yep.

Already got the board and Toshiba bits so will build it anyway.

DCB1 is the posh one you built for Mick?

TBH i am waiting for the Wayne Colburn pre boards on DIYAudio.

Have you built my amp yet? :grinning:

Yes Micks.

I only build amps after a 100% deposit and a lot of persuading.

2 Likes

I have some PCBs to build an Aleph pre somewhere, I really should build that. One day.

I’ve probably got about 6/7 things to build but am only half way through a WHAMMY build after a few years.

Like my school reports - “Could do better, tends to daydream”

:grinning:

Usually, when I actually start a build its finished in a weekend or two. Then I get bored of it and sell it. Not build much audio wise of late, lost interest for now. Mostly trying to get my head around how to get the CNC machine to do what I want with a horn.

If that is with the machine i have seen on here then i imagine there will be a fair few layers.

A few years ago I was buggering about in Sketchup trying to design reverse horn profiles to absorb rear driver energy like Nautilus/Vivid audio.

Got the profiles OK but when it came to breaking it down into the layers I struggled.