DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

Have you and Paul Whitehouse ever been seen in the same place at the same time?

Asking because of Reasons…

5 Likes

Should have the banana more in pose

1 Like

The story here is that I needed a little wadding for some small speaker cabinets and found a “bulk buy” of offcuts available online - Although I had no plans to buy yet more speaker drivers they also had some discounted NOS seas drivers, it was too tempting because I had always fancied trying a mid bass driver. The plan is to use these on my desk top as PC speakers but they will also be workable in my main system.

These speakers are the opposite end of the spectrum from Stu’s and his mates effort!

16 Likes

Seas L12 drivers? I had the L15 in the little 2-way actives a few years back, very impressed with what they could do! That’s a nice little project Andy!

1 Like

Cheers Rob - Seas L12 - That’s the ones. It was really enjoyable, I was taking a little more care than usual to keep it looking nice I still have plenty of 15mm engineered wood flooring left. I may try a taller set of cabs next

1 Like

Latest effort for using up leftover floorboard stock is a simplified record deck. It’s a little rough as I was practicing mitring with a table saw. Keeping things totally square was a challenge for me.

The platter is made from panzerholz that I have had around for around ten years
Arm from JB - The bearing is a rega one and the motor at moment is a Verus rim drive.
Also thanks to Stu’s mate for turning the platter spigot bit

Even with a £32 nobsound phono stage it sounds decent enough. Hum is minimal but there is a fair bit of rumble, it’s not a terminal amount and probably due to the poor surface finish of the platter rim? - I will keep my eye out for a second hand rega motor to try. If any one has one to sell please let me know?

13 Likes

Horn enclosure finished

21 Likes

Now trying my Tribute autoformers with a Aikido valve buffer to early to tell yet if its better then the First watt B1 buffer i had them hooked up to last week.The B1 had a massive soundstage the Aikido at the moment has my feet tapping,but soundstage so far does not sound so big.At the end of the day i could live with ether. The autoformers are great on there own so could end up getting rid of both buffers but i needed to scratch the buffer itch.

Next up a Thomas Mayer style dht with otx to drive the auto formers? 26, 10Y, 801a :grin:

Saw a diy one of those for sale on another forum was tempted for a while but i do not know enough about them.In fact you were named as having helped with the build.

Indeed, I had a 26 preamp for a bit, made the mistake of lending out and never got it back :rofl:
It was a really rather entertaining pre and has left me with a want to build another when I have the time

I did help him get his plans together with some input of parts a layout, he also spent hours on the mahusive 26 preamp thread on diyaudio

Right, it’s all wired up ready for action.
Off round to have a listen to it in a minute…

Fuck the neighbours watching columbo on there day off.

giphy (4)

7 Likes

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ok1-X-ymNLw?feature=share

6 Likes

It may be an artefact of listening on the pooter, but the midrange of that seems extremely compelling :ok_hand:

What do you think of it, subjectively?

It’s so different to what I’m used to with hi fi,but it has been built specifically to reproduce that 70s reggae sound.
I think once it’s able to stretch its legs,it will do precisely that job

2 Likes

Did he try those Beyma tweeters yet?

Not on the system afaik.
Think one tested faulty.
I’ll ask him tomorrow

1 Like

He only needs one :grinning:

2 Likes

It seems some use 4 on that sort of stack.

Lunch break

https://youtube.com/shorts/y1UV_afsMf0?feature=share

3 Likes