eBay stuff (Part 1)

I don’t think I agree really. While some of them are very close, sharing the same basic topology and output devices, say the F5 and F6.

The J2 and SIT3 are different animals. One is a single ended power jfet (with a sort of Aleph setup with a second device providing the bias) the other is a transformer voltage gain push pull output.

Value/sound quality obviously is a different thing entirely. No reason the J2 won’t sound better. Probably would to my ears, I like the single ended thing. Need to pop over and have a listen before you sell it :grin:

1 Like

The First Watt mosfet/JFET amps are very good but VFET/SIT is a different league. I’ve got the F4 which NP says is the best sounding FW amp but I think the power amp stage in my Sony 5650 VFET sounds better.

The J2 isn’t mosfet it’s a power jfet which is pretty much a Vfet. Sort of.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was.

The F4 should have less of a sound than any of the others as well since it does no voltage gain. Kinda fancy building one.

The topologies are slightly different - the SIT uses a MOSFET to bias the VFET so far as I understand it (which isn’t far)… Transformer voltage gain is very neat, but does come at the cost of a little HF roll-off. Thing is NP is always tilting at broadly the same sound signatures - 2nd harmonic warmth and soundstage, plus a smatter of 3rd to increase the sense of detail and resolution - I dunno, I’ve heard your NP inspired builds which were fab, really left an impression, and the J2 is unquestionably in very much the same ballpark, so much so that I’m certain a bakeoff is needed to elucidate…

The J2 goes nowhere for the foreseeable - it combines solid state reliablity with a lovely, lit-up tonality that is VERY reminiscent of powerful SETs like 845s, but without any idling noise. Me Likey!

I’d got confused on the vfet model, it’s the kit that’s push pull :rofl:. (Which I still need to build)

1 Like

Hardly surprising with the plethora of models over the years!

From the man himself - seems the J2 is his favourite overall but likes them all, as you might expect.

2 Likes
1 Like

That’s a good price, the 5650 is probably worth £500+ on it’s own. Use just the power amp stage of the 5650 and it’s a fantastic amp.

Usual caveat applies though to get or make sure the diodes have been replaced.

Don’t go posting that, I’ve just messaged them!! :grinning:

9 Likes

Any use to anyone?

More incentive to get my 3d printer working!

3 Likes

Hmmm they’re fibeglass, look as if at least the gel coat is buggered
Edit…I paid $500 for a mint unused boxed pair a few years ago
Further edit…these are from some PA gear 4726, ordinarily, there should not be a cutaway for a driver or port exits, and if you were buying these to use in 4430s or 4435s, it would present problems.

Good price if it is a genuine WE555 driver on the top half.

Guess you could build a proper set using these as spares @coco @murrayjohnson

Gratuitous listings :grimacing: Speaker cables discount to any Meat Man for any off EBay purchase. Furutech FI-52’s now Sold

1 Like

Perfect for the colder weather - slight fault, but a bargain even at the BIN.

1 Like

Didn’t @pmac have one of these?

2 Likes

Reminds me a bit of that Maplin kit design which used 20 KT88s - 10 in each channel in 5+5 parallel push-pull - and claimed 400W/ch. I think the output transformers were a 2-man lift.

2 Likes