eBay stuff (Part 2)

Always wanted to hear a pair of the old electrostatic stax

1 Like

I was very kindly loaned a pair of SR 009 headphones by @Mickyricky to get me thru my systemless period at the last house.
They are absolutely superb. Incredible resolution and dynamics.
End game 'phones. :+1:

3 Likes

Someone posted some headphones that may have been electrostatic, at least similar, but I canā€™t remember what they were and would like to know. I think @Mrs_Maureen_OPinion may have linked to the modern version that Iā€™d like the link to. Maybe German? There was definitely an orange variant.

Sorry mate - no recollection - perhaps someone without brane damage can help?

I think the name began with an M, so itā€™s probably anything but that :joy:

Jecklin FLOATs perhaps ?

Manfred Stein at Quad Musikwiedergabe used to sell them

https://www.quad-musik-shop.de/en/c/jecklin-float-qa-headphone

but I donā€™t know if he still does. I was lucky enough to meet JĆ¼rg Jecklin once, at a Quad get-together at Manfredā€™s place. He was (died Nov 2021) a very smart guy with a great sense of humour.

I donā€™t know that there was an orange version, but some of them had orange writing

Jury might still be out on that :grin:.

3 Likes

Bingo!

Edit: I see you posted that link!

I saw a version of the newer style that had wood and orange (from memory) but can only see the black now.

A search on this site shows that @Gyroscope posted them and @Mrs_Maureen_OPinion found the orange:

1 Like

Not sure about the modern electrostatics but the earlier Stax examples Iā€™ve had all gave me red ear (Hot ears) after an hour or so (Either that or Mrs MWS was letting rip at me with impunity)

I owned a pair of Stax ear speakers many years back. Nothing else Iā€™ve heard since has come remotely close to what they did.

1 Like
1 Like

Would love to try these

@Jim would be fantastic with the Gotos

1 Like

Not sure how they get to 30W!

yeah was just thinking that when reading the spec, flog the life out of them and you may get 20W but 30W seems ambitious.

Unless they mean 15W per amp for a total of 30W, might just be an Italian description thing.

1 Like

Probably.

There was some tradition back in the day of adding the power of both channels together (e.g. Leak Stereo 20, Dynakit Stereo 70) but theyā€™d usually be on just one chassis. Monos were power-per-channel (Mullard 5-20, Beam-Echo DL7-35) and even some integrated amps were (Radford STA25).

Does that mean if I go 4 inches in and 4 inches out Iā€™ve got an 8inch cock?

2 Likes

It sounds like left and right are out of phase, which will cost you your bass, but in the end (so to speak) itā€™s what your other half reckons that matters.

3 Likes

Not quite eBay, but

1 Like

Iā€™m having one of them :+1:

1 Like