eBay stuff (Part 2)

There is magic in the stacked pairs, larger sweet spot too. Bass will in no way delight but the mids are quite something

2 Likes

I thought the bass was better when stacked. :confused:

I really enjoyed my Quads. While the bass wasnā€™t deep, it was fucking fast.

My experience of trying a sub with fast speakers wasnā€™t good; I think that a simple 15" driver in open baffle or a slot bass system would be my choice, rather than a traditional box sub.

Decca Kelly tweeters anyone?

Presentation is fuller but can only go so far - Skinny panel is skinny.

1 Like

I think itā€™s that it canā€™t move more than a tiny bit, isnā€™t it?

The Lampizator speakers I made had great bass - Ā£50 Eminence drivers in a box open at the back. Simple first or second order crossover, and I reckon most of the flaws would be eliminated.

Not sure Iā€™d pay Ā£2.5k for a set, as pairs seem to go for Ā£500 or so. That leaves a lot of budget for servicing and making frames.

4 Likes

The description spoke about a rebuild, but didnā€™t say whether this was by Quad, One Thing or just some bloke with a wire brush. The frame does look nice, but at that price Iā€™d want to see receipts for the work done. If itā€™s a recent pro rebuild then the price seems ok.

8? Years ago, when I had my Quad 988ā€™s, it was Ā£450 for a service, and replacement of one bass panel.

Standard service with One Thing was Ā£680 in 2011. That included a full rebuild and replacement treble panel I think. I paid extra for stuff like the widget, IEC sockets and black sock.

Haha theyā€™re mine (our other shop site)

5 Likes

There you go! Buy with confidence. :grinning:

1 Like

ā€¦itā€™s our toot clearing site, things get piled high and sold cheap.

Description however is honest - They are all original & have been sound tested - nevertheless as with any vintage piece of equipment a service will be necessary. No warranty.

Opps missed this out of the description.

"Donā€™t like the price? Go to a wood worker, a metal worker, electrical engineer and see how much it will cost to knock these up, then realize what youā€™ve made has no heritage, brand, story or interest to anyone else and consider seeking help. " - Many thanks Sig Sound. Happy not to help.

6 Likes

To quote our esteemed yellow member, ā€œMā€™eh fucking ehā€.

2 Likes

@Wayward

1 Like

Err B29 ackcherlyā€¦

2 Likes

so it is, curse of the pedant strikes again! :clown_face:

2 Likes

Shexy

I can think of more enjoyable ways to blow a thousand quid.

1 Like

Sure, but would you have anything left to show for it in the morning?
Fergethhatā€¦ Coke and hookers it is :pray:

Nice and a it of a bargain if you have the room.

1 Like