eBay stuff (Part 2)

You mean Russell Merridew?

Before him

Nope, donā€™t think heā€™s on any forums but heā€™s one of Kevā€™s customers.

Has got OBXs, LV argento and Kondo M1000 and lives near me. Canā€™t remember the deck but he had two arms with a soundsmith strainguage and Io LTD on them.

He said the LTD was one of the earliest made and had the PSU like the one in the ad.

Well he has either sold it or the HiFi shop is selling it for him

you should be a detective with those deductive skills.

1 Like

Just seems a bit weird paying a shop commisiion and then ebay fees.

itā€™s probably not who Iā€™m thinking of, he did say he wouldnā€™t sell it for less than Ā£9k and having owned it for 20+ years probably isnā€™t in a rush for a quick ebay sale.

Do shops pay less in final value fees than individuals?

Yes

It belonged to Ritchie Huxley (used to be on Wigwam at one time) and I checked it over for him & fixed the PSU which needed to have 2 of the 3 batteries replaced. That wouldā€™ve been around 2018. The cartridge worked well although I couldnā€™t say how many hours of use itā€™d had. I donā€™t know where they got 50 hrs from.

The PSU was interesting. I assumed it was made by ANUK but they said not. However nothing about its internal components indicated Japan made, definitely all European sourced partsā€¦ But it was a clever design allowing any of the 3 cells to be used or them all to be charged. I wondered whether someone at ANUK had made it as a Saturday morning job.

But the cartridge definitely was Japan made.

1 Like

Interesting to see where this goes

Only 50 hours use in 20 years seems unlikely. Thinking about bidding nonethelessā€¦ :thinking:

. I remember Guy having this one in and itā€™s a runner but 50 hrs???the rebuild would be be Ā£2K +
@dwhistance

1 Like

I suppose it depends how high the bidding goesā€¦Iā€™ll keep an eye on it :+1:

1 Like

ā€œā€¦and advised that as and when it needs a re tip to ensure that Audio Note donā€™t just replace the the mechanism as these old ones sound betterā€¦ā€

I donā€™t think I said that exactly.

What I would say is that as & when it does need a rebuild, Neil at ANUK can do it & would use a titanium cantilever with an appropriate tip. Iā€™m not sure ANJ use titanium cantilevers or exotically profiled diamonds anymore.

When he rebuilt my Japan made cartridge I asked that he follow the coil winding scheme it already had when winding the new one which he did & he was able to leave the electromagnet alone. He did a great job although I doubt itā€™ll be cheap to have one rebuilt now. Ā£3K maybe?.

7 Likes

I saw this thread and wondered if you might be interested in a swap with this chap Al? @spacehopper

Heā€™s looking for a higher powered amp for his inefficient speakers and youā€™re looking for an EL84 amp for your higher sensitivity speakers. Bit of ying yang sychronicity thing going on here possiblyā€¦

2 Likes

Cheers Paul.

I do like the look of the Leben but tbh I donā€™t want to go back to an enclosed unit again I love my glowing valves too much.

1 Like

Pervert

Somebody has too :grinning:

I like my Allnic phono stage for the same, sordid reason :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like