eBay stuff (Part 2)

Snipes go in at one or two seconds before the end depending on what service you use.

1 Like

Yeh, but they donā€™t have time to rebid if you have topped them. Perhaps the word snipe wasnā€™t right.
Itā€™s winner take all.

A snipe bid will not be placed unless the set sum is greater than the current bid. This means that a snipe bid is performing exactly the function described with your method. (Set your figure and walk away)

2 Likes

I just do it manually. As you point out the auto bids always work. Mine only work if I set an alarm and remember to be there !

It was a very nice sounding cartridge when it was here. If you had the necessary SUT would have been a good buy but for the indeterminate use itā€™s had. You might get 3-5 years, you might get 3-5 weeks. Then itā€™ll be a big bill for the rebuild.

No, They work if the auto bid it higher than a set snipe.
I have a record buyer friend who puts 10K on rare records he really wants via a snipe. Of course his can go horribly wrong if there is another lunatic playing a similar hand but A) He has money and B) The right to cancel. Iā€™ve probed him on the morality of his ā€˜doingsā€™ - He just looks at me like Iā€™m not serious.

1 Like

Wisdom

The only way

2 Likes

All of my recent snipe bids have won the auction but I suspect I was bidding for crap (not crap to my mind obviously) that not many people wanted.

Iā€™ve also had decent luck with making an offer on eBay.

Ha.

Psychologists point to the red mist as the issue.
The annoyance at being outbid and the determination to win.
Which leads to overbidding. i.e. ā€œgamblingā€. A compulsion to win.

Bid really late with seconds to go and you leave no time to be suckered into that final, more than you wanted, spite bid.

Buyer mentalities differ. eg, I list an average collectable record buy it now for Ā£100. It sits there for a week, Iā€™m bored and list it as an auction, 3, 7, 10 days later the auction ends - The record sells for Ā£175ā€¦ This happens surprisingly often

Why?

The buyer doesnā€™t want to purchase the record, they want to ā€˜Win itā€™ā€¦(In doing so they become a winner not a consumer.)

11 Likes

Listings ending after about 17:00 on a Sunday also ā€˜benefitā€™ from the ā€œHeā€™s been drinking since lunchtime and needs something to cheer him up before another week back at fucking workā€ issue.

4 Likes

Timings of listings are fascinating, thereā€™s a bunch of research into this depending on durationā€™s / endings / products etc etc. Obvious things like listing on a Thursday for a 10 day auction (offers the best exposure) to ending items on a Monday lunchtime when people are depressed at being back at work (Monday blues) and impulse buy in their lunch break for ā€˜retail therapyā€™. There was a bunch of research done on New Mums and their penchant for needing a cheery ā€˜winā€™ on a monday even if it was just a kids toy.

= Shop keepers have been psycho aware of customer behavior for hundeds of yearsā€¦Nothing new, just techno improved.

2 Likes

When I sold a bunch of old video games, BIN often sold for double the auctions. And faster.

Something something gamers and instant gratification.

2 Likes

Want.

I still have a desire to mount such a speaker to the roofrack before the next election & drive around the town announcing in a stentorian voice.

Vote Conservative for food shortages

Vote Conservative for higher taxes.

Vote Conservative for more sewage in the rivers & for fuel poverty.

etc etc. This should give the desired impact.

14 Likes

Iā€™ll ask if thereā€™s an old one knocking around.

4 Likes

Anyone seen one of these before?

Oooooo matron

2 Likes

Didnā€™t sell at 1500.