Economy talk

That’s a better idea, and common in a lot of developed nations. The while non dom thing is a massive tax dodge.

Tax the shit out of that too, lock the cunts up if they don’t pay and sell the property to cover the tax. Only needs a change of law.

Ugh flashbacks to the horror of A level economics, please don’t mention that again :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Please note the level I pitched my suggested reading at. I haven’t mentioned the Phillips Curve once :innocent:

1 Like

i see sports bras are in and donuts are out

Interesting that this was written before today’s (admittedly well-signalled) interest rate rise.

It could never happen here!

It already is. And our own dear govt - ‘the party of fiscal prudency’ - want it to. Vulture capitalism at its best…

…aaaand in related news, the BoE is predicting inflation will peak at 13% in October.

To help that sink-in, here’s a chart of historic inflation rates back to 1970…

The only other times we’ve hit comparable levels was during the 1st and 2nd World Wars.

Sam, whose job it is to understand and predict how this affects the food industry says the BoE is optimistic about any fall, and is currently planning for a peak of 16.9% in Q1 2023…

Said BoE will waggle pointlessly with the interest rate hike stick seemingly oblivious to the fact that it’s unconnected and ineffective in dealing with the real cause of prices rising, whilst those most vulnerable to changes and mortgage cost increases (who aren’t out there getting pay rises and spending freely) are going to be subjected to greater hardship.

4 Likes

Can you ask Sam what the prediction is for Q3 2023, happens to be the date my pension locks onto Inflation rate.

1 Like

She says “Buy gold, land, guns, and long-life food…”.

Or maybe nick a submarine to live in?

1 Like

Excellent, be going part time next July just to lock the pension in. Unintended consequence of shit pay rise and high inflation😁

Stocked up wine, port and whiskey , food Bank for the rest.

2 Likes

Wondering whether Guy’s VC watch would be a good investment! I don’t wear watches or have a particular interest but it might do better than money!

2 Likes

You have to get lucky with watches. I bought a steel Rolex Submariner 5 or 6 years ago for £5k. I wore it lots, added some scratches and traded it recently for £9k. Just luck. When I bought it you could easily get a new one for RRP with no waiting - jewellers had them in stock.

The internets will explode.
You are only allowed to buy watches if you intend to lose money on them, otherwise you are not a real participant of ‘the hobby’ and not a ‘serious collector’

28,700 miles, same owner 40 years. Much more fun than a watch £48k more pounds though.

5 Likes

Haha.

I had thought of making a “joke” post that the price had gone up because of the mental inflation.

Prices don’t go up.

1 Like

Watches have peaked. Now the crypto bubble has burst there’s mass-offloading of investment pieces. Also the GBP is heading into Zimbabwe dollar territory…

I recommend a gobful of gold teeth* :+1:

*E&OE: I’m a fucking idiot, never do anything I suggest.

3 Likes

Incredible, really.

1 Like

Ah stop your fussing, that opens up other business avenues for companies to buy up high risk debt etc.

How could that possibly go wrong.

Yeah cheap repo properties for tory landlords. Available soon.
Stinks of Fannie mac ‘n’ cheese.

2 Likes