Economy talk

If i knew what that meant i could argue or not

If you do read it please be aware that you will be banned from posting anything about economic theory on AA threads.
The rest of us are aware that our opinions are all based on something someone told us about Mars bars in the third form and we actually know sweet FA about the subject.
One show off on the forum is quite enough thankyouverymuch :grinning:

on one of the first pages:

ā€œMoreover, good economics retains an element of artā€

so itā€™s whatever you want it to be !

1 Like

That makes sense, probably why all those politicians take PPE degrees so they can make it up as they go along!

2 Likes

Or give out vastly over valued PPE contracts

2 Likes

Tax all citizens no matter where they live or where they stash their cash. If they donā€™t like it they can ditch their citizenship.

That just results in the property being shoved into an overseas company; then we canā€™t even collect Council Tax!

I think that Cherie Blair bought a company that was in an overseas company, which meant that the vendor didnā€™t have any tax to pay on the gain. Credit to her, she unwound the company (and presumably paid the tax on the gain) before it got leaked.

Thatā€™s a better idea, and common in a lot of developed nations. The while non dom thing is a massive tax dodge.

Tax the shit out of that too, lock the cunts up if they donā€™t pay and sell the property to cover the tax. Only needs a change of law.

Ugh flashbacks to the horror of A level economics, please donā€™t mention that again :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Please note the level I pitched my suggested reading at. I havenā€™t mentioned the Phillips Curve once :innocent:

1 Like

i see sports bras are in and donuts are out

Interesting that this was written before todayā€™s (admittedly well-signalled) interest rate rise.

ā€œIt could never happen here!ā€

It already is. And our own dear govt - ā€˜the party of fiscal prudencyā€™ - want it to. Vulture capitalism at its bestā€¦

ā€¦aaaand in related news, the BoE is predicting inflation will peak at 13% in October.

To help that sink-in, hereā€™s a chart of historic inflation rates back to 1970ā€¦

The only other times weā€™ve hit comparable levels was during the 1st and 2nd World Wars.

Sam, whose job it is to understand and predict how this affects the food industry says the BoE is optimistic about any fall, and is currently planning for a peak of 16.9% in Q1 2023ā€¦

Said BoE will waggle pointlessly with the interest rate hike stick seemingly oblivious to the fact that itā€™s unconnected and ineffective in dealing with the real cause of prices rising, whilst those most vulnerable to changes and mortgage cost increases (who arenā€™t out there getting pay rises and spending freely) are going to be subjected to greater hardship.

4 Likes

Can you ask Sam what the prediction is for Q3 2023, happens to be the date my pension locks onto Inflation rate.

1 Like

She says ā€œBuy gold, land, guns, and long-life foodā€¦ā€.

Or maybe nick a submarine to live in?

1 Like

Excellent, be going part time next July just to lock the pension in. Unintended consequence of shit pay rise and high inflationšŸ˜

Stocked up wine, port and whiskey , food Bank for the rest.

2 Likes

Wondering whether Guyā€™s VC watch would be a good investment! I donā€™t wear watches or have a particular interest but it might do better than money!

2 Likes

You have to get lucky with watches. I bought a steel Rolex Submariner 5 or 6 years ago for Ā£5k. I wore it lots, added some scratches and traded it recently for Ā£9k. Just luck. When I bought it you could easily get a new one for RRP with no waiting - jewellers had them in stock.