Energy chat

Viridian do a halfway house of flush panels. The problem with current solar roof tiles is they are a bit shit and super expensive.

You might get used to them. People round here are actually missing Didcot A now itā€™s all been blown up and is being replaced by vast grey windowless sheds.

Doesnā€™t stop people buying SET amplifiers :grin:.

VB

3 Likes

The Givenergy inverter is rated at 3% THD so in the same ballpark.

1 Like

Viridian ones like a decent option thanks mark, like fitting a velum window but bigger and a lot less intrusive, will go and look at them I think

1 Like

I want to be super efficient at conserving energy so I can waste it with a hoooge valve amp :grinning:

2 Likes

Solar powered valve amp heating a room means less use of a gas boiler so a lower carbon impact hence all win.

1 Like

Just wait till I get the solar panels and battery in. I will then go full zealot

8 Likes

Iā€™m getting more excited about the solar+battery than the car!

/sits here in ecotech hipster mode

Teach us, solar daddy.

Gone waaaaay past that and on to looking at solar diverters for heating and air source heat pumps.

1 Like

Oh yes been looking at air source heat pumps as they come in under the grant.

be very careful with air source heat pumps, they are great but they need the right environment and property type if retro fitted,

@MrKettle we are putting in a lot of the mixergy cylinders with direct pv diverter for our heat pump installations.

Boxergy do a nice complete system with battery storage etc, We are not quite at the install stage but it looks a promising one stop solution

Yeah Iā€™m at early stages havenā€™t even moved in yet. But itā€™s not been touched since it was built In the 60s. So it has a back boiler still, no loft or cavity insulation etc. So want to max out the grant as much as possible converting away from gas to electric and insulating (windows and doors done). Then solar panels and battery backup from someone like eon on monthly interest free as it doesnā€™t fall under the grant.

Need to find a government approved company who does the lot and get talking

Weā€™ve looked at them, not sure how they would work if we had a combi now and solar diversion and then wanted to swap to air source (we are doing a lot of insulating to try to make sure an air source heater would have enough output).

The other option we are looking at is Sunamp.

Duty on all fuels will be reduced, and all vehicles will pay a mileage charge to cover the lost revenue

We are running a couple of hybrid trials at the mo, with heat pump running and the boiler providing the extra output when needed. Iā€™ll keep you updated if you likeā€¦BG are investing heavily in this area

I do like the mixergy cylinders, the ā€™ smartā€™ will improve.

This is the right way, insulated doors and triple glazing are good but expensive.
But when the old needs replacingā€¦

I have given up on the Green Homes Grant. I canā€™t get quotes for solar thermal as theyā€™re all too busy, and the windows installers I can find are small ones who arenā€™t doing it as the paperwork is too shitty for a small company.

Iā€™m just going to install windows and get solar PV later I think.

I refer you to this.

1 Like