Entry level vinyl system for a friend

No idea mate. I know nowt but like searching stuff. Lol

I’m still putting together my own vinyl set-up so have no experience other than throwing the needle on records as a young kid.

Listen to others. I just like the look of those speakers and the bloke seems to enjoy refurbing them. Then I searched for a turntable and that looks nice.

1 Like

I only know the name and reputation. They likely made some shite as well but I do take chances with my choices.

1 Like

That looks very nice. Bit of a steal.

I mean for the money we’re talking about if they are working they should be ok.

Wasn’t there an Audio-Technica turntable around £225 new that was well regarded?

Yes, very good turntable the at lp5

2 Likes

If you can get the Sony es from mine, cosmo is happy for someone else to have it

1 Like

Where are you @stu?

Near Plymouth

1 Like

Nice, has a built in Phonostage as well which might help with Amp choices :slight_smile:

What space does your friend have? Will he need bookshelf speakers or could he take large floorstanders? What sort of music does he like?

If you are serious then I could put together a system from the (far too many) boxes I have here, if you are interested.

6 Likes

I recall that nice @Tons_of_fun fellow being quite the fan when he reviewed it.

:thinking:

Stu’s Sony amp, a Technics SL7 for about £175 and then JBs H6 speakers and only £100 over budget.

4 Likes

Some great suggestions here, by sending him a few links it’s helped me understand better what he wants/likes the look of.

His space is a family living room 10ft x 30ft, archetypal high ceiling room with bay window and fireplace.

He doesn’t like floorstanders, and partner doesn’t want visually overbearing speakers.
So bookshelf speakers on stands are set. As much as I’d like him to have the Impulse, don’t think he’ll go for them.

I’ve steered him towards using the bulk of the budget on speakers, as suggested, so I think it’s soaking in that £400 for speakers is about right.

The amp can be hidden, just needs to do its job, with a phono stage, reliability is the main thing.

TT seems to be tough, I’ve looked for a Technics, if anyone spots one at a good price let me know. Rega appears to be default.

Thank you @octh, his music taste is pretty similar to mine, varied around funk and electronic having spent his uni years in Bristol around the peak of trip hop. Worth putting something together if it’s not too much trouble.

Aren’t the small Kralk Audio speakers fairly cheap? Look great as well.

Plus people rate their sound.

2 Likes

Nice but bass free.

Well, he does want speakers with no bass driver.

Ideal then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, until he plays a record :joy:

Trip hop!

2 Likes

He wants the moon on a stick. You’re on a hiding to nothing.

4 Likes