Fabulous Foo (or ICHM's shopping list)

Iconic Original Pressing?

What will Japanman make of this?

NeoFidelity tells us that Ionic’s patented technology “leverages advances in nanotechnology, material sciences and materials to develop a new physical audio format in which purpose-engineered coatings and underlying composite polymers are applied to a traditional acetate substrate specifically designed for the superior reproduction and preservation of analogue sound”.

https://www.hifipig.com/iconic-original-new-bob-dylan-recording-of-blowin-in-the-wind/

1 Like

The auction is a stunt really to PR this

2 Likes

Bonkers !

1 Like

Haha, a few folk on here could do with eccentricity stabilisation :joy::joy:

3 Likes

No idea what it is

A Princeton professor, that’s all you need to know.

2 Likes

"Stereo only creates the illusion of localized sound by manufacturing a phantom image “and your brain doesn’t believe it.”…

The second box of @Wayward s magic boxes also addresses some of this. I brought one to Lopwell, no one gave a shit, which was reassuring.

4 Likes

$58k

1 Like

True. Always has been.

Or it does.

His fundamental point about listening to one bird in the forest, not two in your listening room, isn’t taken away by his box. There will still be two birds (speakers) in your listening room. The box aims to ease your brain around some of the problems it might have with that. That’s a tough job though. I wouldn’t expect too much, and he’s honest about the limitations of wall reflections, smallness of sweet spot etc etc.

Perhaps looking at it from another direction the STEREO panning has been known to be flawed for 70 years. The high frequency creating a wider sound stage than the LF. There was a filter in some of the EMI Redd desks to correct this I believe but this was dropped at some point?

If its all so limited by having 2 speakers and the room interaction, just wear headphones and save somewhere between $23k and $50k.

I am sure its a lovely effects box to delight the types that are looking for separation above all else, but i tend to find that approach musically unsatisfying

The Stereo ‘Illusion’ is limited. The effect of the magic box @Wayward has, for the most part is subtle. On certain pieces having the bass spread out envelops the listener in a way that is more realistic and involving… I’m doing a shit job of describing this but when I had the box here there were instances on very familiar records where sound was coming from places I’d not recognize as my system or room. In short the speaker disappearing act (I’ve heard the boxes on some large horns etc) becomes a lot more real. (Less of an illusion)

I am personally not really interested in the stereo illusion, so wouldnt really want either magic box tbh. I am sure they are fun, i did say that.

Stereo? Sounds like a load of wank. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I like separation, placement, scale etc particularly when listening to classical. That said I listen to a shed load of Mono, I like the directness of that too.

Pointless trying to do anything requiring critical listening at Lopwell in a strange room with a lumped together system.
Having said that when we changed speakers or amps I could hear a difference but when we put in the magic box I couldn’t.
Although we didn’t play the same piece of music with or without the box or do anything remotely like a test.

Lopwell is for eating and arson, once underway everything else is an amuse-bouche

5 Likes

Magic boxes notwithstanding (and FWIW, let’s not forget DynaVector’s ‘SuperStereo’ boxes once were a massively more-affordable dog in this same fight), I find your statement odd to the point of bizarre given your chosen trade. However much it may not matter to your personal enjoyment of music, good stereo reproduction is a certain sign that hifi equipment is doing its job properly - IME any kit that fails in this area is also failing in lots of others.

I really like clarity, natural and even tone and a sense of musical peeformance. I dont listen for the stereo illusion, or sit in the sweet spot, but i realise that may be unusual :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Completely agree

1 Like