Feckin' Weather

1 Like

Is it bad? Jan’s driving to Leeds this afternoon.

Nah not here anyway, sunshine now😎

1 Like

Where’s your spirit of adventure man?

Rob drank it all at Lopwell.

1 Like

Hardly a breath of wind here, unusually. Nice sunny day, looking forward to taking the girls out for a walk after the Liverpool game. The forecast predicted 3" - 4" of snow last night, yet not a single flake materialised.

Forecasts here are notoriously unreliable. The general rule of thumb is to read all of the available forecasts then forget them and look out of the window.

2 Likes

Not what it was 25 years ago. Here’s a blurry picture of me standing on some planks on some trestles which were themselves sitting on a couple of sheets of ply laid on some first floor joists. The floor joists were fastened in place. Nothing else was, really.

You can see a steel ridge beam poked into a one-brick (4.5") deep hole in the house wall. The other end is sitting on the gable wall of the garage-to-be. The gable wall is unbraced - that scaff belonged to my brickie and it’s not in contact with the masonry.

The ridge beam was heavier than I could lift. I could lift one end though. So I did. First up onto the floor joists. Then I slid one end up the wall and into the hole in the house. Then I walked the other end up the gable wall, a step at a time, until it was where you can see it in the pics. If at any stage it had fallen (i.e. I had dropped it or it had slid out of the house wall) heaven knows what would have happened. Still, I didn’t and it didn’t so I wasn’t killed, eh :slightly_smiling_face: ?

VB

8 Likes

AND the Cavalier survived :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t know where to start Graeme :confounded:

6 Likes

It wasn’t as bad as that Jim. I didn’t need all those people to hold it together :grin:. My big worry was the steel coming down. I worked the geometry of the lift out - where the bottom end had to be to make sure the top end didn’t come out of the hole in the wall - then ‘all’ I had to do was to make sure that happened. Which it did. I don’t think I did most of the lifting off those trestles. I may just have put those in place for the purposes of the photos.

VB

2 Likes

I think I’m most impressed with the suitable building attire. Well done :+1:

Forum tagline.

1 Like

Snow here this afternoon :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Heard a rumbling noise followed by a crash and the sound of something breaking earlier.

“What’s that?” I thought.

Turns out “that” was a ridge tile coming off the roof and smashing about half a dozen others on its way down.:frowning_face:

Rchmond and Bushy Parks closed as multiple trees blowing over.

1 Like

Been waiting for my tree surgeon for weeks now , think he might be cancelling us again soon judging by the weather

Sideways snow.

No big bits of trees down, surprising given the wind.

Sunshine/blue sky.

This plus lots of wind

1 Like