Golf (aka, how to dress like a nonce)

Did you feel better for it, or just a bit sad?

Deal was quite a lovely experience at the weekend. Hardest back nine I have ever played with the wind around 35mph. Stroke index 15 was a 210 yarder with wind accross it. Most of the par 4’s were around 400 yards. Not ridiculous, but my best drives were not getting me within 200yards of the greens.

Need to move nearer the coast and play links golf. I quite like it.

2 Likes

Frustrated that my swing appears to have a mind of it’s own at the moment. But I do find being out there incredibly satisfying.

Deal is a great course. Tough but worthwhile. I must head down there again.

I have no idea what the guest greenfee is there, as friend always insists on paying. No-guest greenfee seems quite spendy.
The Shovril’s at the halfway hut seemed cheap at £2.40 for two. Large platter of free sarnies left over from a club match went down well.

It just seemed like proper golf compared to the parkland place I am a member of.

1 Like

I can see the sea from most holes on my course but it is not a links course, a couple of miles inland and high on the South Downs, great views and strong winds.
Downland courses are not links courses but they are certainly not parkland courses. Wider fairways, fewer trees, few flat lies, high winds and fast greens.
There is a 400yd par 4 that I have played with Driver + 5 Wood and also Driver + PW (and everything in between) depending on the wind.

Also being on chalk it drains really well and is rarely closed due to weather.

Not as hard as a proper Links course (I have only played Princes, Littlestone and Hayling Island which could properly be called Links) but a good challenge

2 Likes

Got a Links trip booked for August to South Wales, playing Pennard, Langland Bay and Royal Porthcawl.
Looking forward to it :grinning:

1 Like

No idea but :+1: for getting out and about post covid (ish, you know what I mean).

1 Like

Apart from Deal the only links courses I played were in Holland, and the one at Le Touquet. All pretty good, but Deal is the better I think.

A ‘Sopranos’ backed tournament :thinking:

https://wmphoenixopen.com/

Great hole in one at Phoenix yesterday

Crowd reaction (from 57 seconds) is incredible,
The stands round the 16th hold 20,000 spectators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqcsmUZU5ic

2 Likes

Carlos Ortiz has repeated the feat at the 16th!
You wait seven years then two come along together!

2 Likes

Maybe it was the best dinner Jack can recall because Phil wasn’t there :grinning:

Amazing reception for Tiger, huge crowd following him , hacked his way to a 18 foot putt … but of course holed it for his par :grin:

1 Like

Rory McIlroy -5 after 10 holes!

How he must be wishing one of those 73s on days 1 and 2 had been a 70. He would be really fancying his chances now.

1 Like

Now -7 after 13 for this round :flushed:

Still 5 shots off the lead but only 1 off 2nd place.

It’s going to take a meltdown for it to go to Rory.
At least the wider play is adding some drama to what could have been a procession.

Phenomenal round from Rory.
Pressure on Scheffler.
He may be playing very well and be world #1 but he has never won a major.

He seems to have a really good disposition but who knows what goes on in people’s heads.
5 holes to go.

1 Like

Sheffler needs to do some swimming for this to get tasty…

Pressure on.

Scheffler’s 2nd at 15 says a lot about the man and his confidence in his ability .

Can’t see him losing this now

1 Like

This is incredible golf from Scheffler. Amazing. And by the way… Rory is back. Hello!

1 Like