Help me to like

I only know them from the Helen Watson album Blue Slipper, which had most of them on. I really liked that at the time, spent ages finding it on CD a few years ago and found it a bit meh.

I have the same issue with Motown and Soul music, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross et al.
I don’t own one record in the genre and despite a number of attempts I just don’t connect with it.

1 Like

Do you like reggae or Afro-beat music?

Otis Redding is one of my favourite singers. Play him all the time.

3 Likes

They started out with this

(actually the original version is even more basic, although it did have Ry Cooder playing slide) and progressed to this

The Last Record Album would have to be one of my Desert Island eight.

VB

1 Like

Yes. I have a few reggae albums and I like Miles Davis.
The point is we all have different tastes.

I agree on different tastes but just wondered whether you were partial or not to rhythm/ groove based music.

I don’t understand what that means. Nearly all music has rythm. Plenty of jazz has what I would call a groove.

1 Like

Probably not correctly attributed but the sentiment is sound enough, I include elements of prog in this assertion.

1 Like

Fat Man in the Bath Tub is easily my favourite Feat track

1 Like

I hear/read the lyrics as being about an older man trying to pull a much younger woman and failing.
He recounts his college days - Way back when in '67. I was the dandy gamma chi (Gamma Chi Delta is an American sorority). He puts on some music Hey nineteen that’s 'Retha Franklin but “nineteen” doesn’t care She don’t remember the Queen of Soul. In the chorus he realizes there’s no connection as they don’t have the same frame of reference We got nothing in common. We can’t dance together. No we can’t talk at all. In the outro he (sadly?) carries on trying The Cuervo Gold. The fine Colombian. Make tonight a wonderful thing

2 Likes

I agree, I was rushing a bit. I was trying to post and sew my daughters ballet shoes at the same time. I made a better job of the shoes! :sweat_smile:

Ah, the old posting and sewing my daughters ballet shoes at the same time excuse :grin:
In any event, we agree on the lyrics of many a Steely Dan song being clever and sometimes biting :+1: Good band.

4 Likes

I really like a Blue Slipper, although I understand from reading too many 1980s hi-fi mags that it only sounds any good on an LP12. Same goes for Ben Sidran’s ‘Bop City’…

Oh, and Steely Dan? Awesome
Sex Pistols? Talentless noisy shite.

IMHO, of course.

3 Likes

A convincing eulogy backed up by journalistic rigour. Thanks.

2 Likes

I go further and say music I like or music I don’t like. Me liking a particular piece of music doesn’t make it “good”, me disliking a particular piece of music doesn’t make it “bad”.

All music is lovely :+1:

1 Like

Enjoy responsibly.

6 Likes

I can relate to the sentiment very strongly indeed.

2 Likes

Here you go Mark,
Plan your next trip to Brighton around February 15th next year

https://www.concorde2.co.uk/events

1 Like