Home Insurance

Maybe not even that - it depends on how the policy is set up against what you’ve declared as the total value.
Insurance companies usually want you to insure the total value of your contents, so if you declare £50k, but they’re actually worth £100k, in the event everything was destroyed (say in a fire), they might say you were 50% under-insured so will only pay out £25k.

1 Like

The policy allows me to declare up to £150k but the stuff I give a shit about is £50k so I’ve only declared that. It’s enough to cover the HifI, records, TV, watch, white goods and a few clothes.

I’ve provided an inventory for the policy schedule which comes to £50k so they won’t be able to say that, my policy is quite specific and probably why it is cheap.

I need to up my contents insurance. We have £175K cover but I don’t think that would be sufficient in the face of a total loss. Either that or sell off my vinyl, which isn’t happening.

What about the Art Hub servers? :scream:

covered by the business insurance :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

In a total loss situation, the value of contents can mount up frighteningly quickly. Not just the obvious stuff like furnishings, clothes, kitchen/bathroom equipment/sanitary ware and general posessions, but the cost to replace carpets, fixtures and curtains, joinery (doors/ironmongery, skirtings and staircases) and also complete redecoration has to be considered.
A normal 3 bed semi could easily cost a quarter of a mill to refurb, without the cost of any high value items like hifis, artwork or jewelery.

1 Like

Staircase is contents?

Sanitary ware is contents? You mean sanitary towels surely :thinking:

I think a kitchen is contents.

I thought contents were things that weren’t fixed.

I think the only thing covered is carpets, they aren’t part of fixtures & fittings although most people leave them behind.

When my brother and his wife bought their second house the (weird) guy selling it took all the bulbs, carpets and door handles with him.

…And he never got a letter forwarded to him → EVER.

Contents is, according to LV in a phone call, everything that will fall out of your house if it was turned upside down without a roof.

3 Likes

Surely you’d need to give it a good shake to get stuff on the ground floor through the first floor structure? Also what happens to things like tall bookshelves that get attached at the top to stop them falling over? Enquiring minds must know.

Also this has the potential for an epic Mythbusters episode.

2 Likes

Glad it’s not just me that was thinking this :laughing:

Pedantsinsurance.com

Is not available on comparison websites

1 Like

They’ve also illustrated why insurance policy small print and their T and Cs are a mile long.

…and that’s where the value of more expensive (moneybags as Mark called them) policies comes in - they don’t quibble - I’ve had two claims in the last ten years and both paid out more than expected within about a week, with no faff.
If you buy cheap, expect questions, small print, loss adjusters and delays.

1 Like

Need to revive this.
Looking through the thread, I can’t seem to find, if any of you have insurance for a listed building. Grade 2
That scupers all the quotes.
Any insight, help appreciated.

I’ve not had any problems getting quotes or insurance. Even the comparison sites now take it into account.