Integrated hot amp advice, recommends and nonsense

Have a look at background hum and noise levels if that matters to you. Valve amps which skimp on negative feedback can struggle to be quiet. Sometimes it can be fixed by selecting a quiet input valve, but not always, by any means.

VB

1 Like

If you lived nearer you could try this, but I don’t want to post it

2 Likes

Did you build it Dave?

There are some fantastic 300B amps out there and they can sound wonderful but valve prices can be a bit crazy with really good valves costing getting on for the price of the amp.

I think I would be looking at other options as well as 300B.

1 Like

Be easier to buy a Unicorn

Tis the AA way.

That’s a very kind offer Dave. I wouldn’t want you posting it either.
I’m in no great rush as it’s not a great time for going out auditioning gear ATM.

No, it’s a Bez T3B-3. Rather nice and not stupid cost, though replacement 300b’s aren’t cheap (this has EH Golds). There are spare small signal valves, but only one extra 300b.

2 Likes

Just had a look at valves, I see what you mean.
What do you use it with?

At the moment it’s not in use, which is why it could go out. I had it running 100Hz upwards (mid & tweeter) in my main (attic) system. I don’t have any high sensitivity speakers, and am likely to go fully active.

I just fancied trying a 300b SET, itch scratched and on to other things. Think I’ve decided that hot bottles aren’t my thing (they make me too nervous!), so I’ll stay with solid state.

When I bought it I heard it driving some large American 'stats full range - sounded lovely.

2 Likes

1 Like

Sugden Class A.

4 Likes

Electrocompaniet integrated - think Sugden on steroids. Lovely.

1 Like

Way overpowered for 101 db speakers and not valve, I know the Sugden isn’t either but is Class A and at 20Wpc is probably a better match.

@loo Maybe see if you can get a Puresound 2A3 to try, I would have a chat with Guy about the A10, it might be all you need

3 Likes

In that case maybe talk to @coco about a SIT amp.

The nearest thing to valve ‘sound’ (without glass) that you may ever experience, but without the idiosyncrasies of the hardware. Also it could (most probably) be tailored to be a perfect match for your speakers.

That’s what he did for me and it’s quite possibly the only piece of hi-fi that I would never consider selling. Believe me, that’s a serious recommendation.

5 Likes

Did you read this bit?

:rofl:

3 Likes

Two boxes - 49.9kg each.

Every problem has a solution.

:wink:

4 Likes

Ha, a @coco SIT intergrated with on board valve phonostage would be an absolute object of desire. Although I was hoping the new amp would be smaller than the Viva not just the power supply.

:rofl:

I feel there’s a gap between “not in a rush” and “willing to wait until the heat death of the universe.”

3 Likes

< 18 months wait for me IIRC.

Maybe I was just lucky…