Fair enough I guess,

enjoy

2 Likes

That dog really ties the room together.

6 Likes

Q: Mr. Japanman you have a small room.

A: And?

11 Likes

Something Iā€™ve often wondered is, doesnā€™t the bass driver firing directly over a TT introduce significant vibrational pick up ?

Yes bass hitting a deck straight on 1m away is going to make things a little more lively.

But half of what Japan man sees in WE and other vintage insanity is the ā€˜thingā€™, the artifact is as important as the sound. Thatā€™s not to say they donā€™t go full Tonto for sound given half a chance but owning the thing, however impractical or improbable is a pleasure to many. Fuck limitations, fuck practicality, fuck ideal - give me that thing!

6 Likes

Yes, but they have Zen like hearing.
Probably not trying to play Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, very loudšŸ˜‚

For loud / deep they would CD or StreamšŸ˜‰

Ah, get it. That I understand.

Took the opportunity to call in on @keith1962 while visiting the arctic circle this week.
The 4 way horn speaker system has come on a lot since I last visited maybe 5 years ago. It was nice to hear the Celestion AXI 2050ā€™s, very even sounding, on their LeCleach horns although the waiting to be finishedā€™ ply horns in the garage look like they could go well. Upper bass low Mid is handled by a straight front loaded horn while in each rear corner thereā€™s an 8 ft tall, surprisingly discreet (white painted) tapped horn delivering very well controlled dynamic bass. Keith uses a Nadja so all inputs are digitised & crossovered there before a stack of various power amps directly drive each of the speaker channels. It was a nice opportunity to hear his newly acquired Voyd 0.5Ref which sounded as lively as might have been expected.

Itā€™s a very impressive system which heā€™s gathered together & voiced pretty much by himself. Not that aesthetically intrusive either compared to most domestic horn set ups. Well worth a listen if youā€™re ever up there & heā€™ll let you in.

Not only did he let me & a friend in but also served up a delicious fish supper. A fine host.

Total picture fail on my part, phone was dying but Iā€™m sure heā€™ll put a pic up if he hasnā€™t already somewhere further up the thread.

20 Likes

I understood about three words of that, but

speaks to superb commitment.

Pictures please.

1 Like

I understood all of itšŸ˜€

Lack of pics is disappointing!

2 Likes

This reminds me that the lad I picked up some plaster horns from has moved up here to Kingston Park. He had loads of horns all over the place and sells some on eBay. He said heā€™d like to look for a local pub or some such place to set-up a system for people to come and listen to, once heā€™s settled in.

Pics or didnā€™t happen

There is a pic further up the thread (see below) although heā€™s changed the tweeters since then and angled in the mids a little too.

I think Iā€™d paint the upper bass horns a lighter colour but otherwise theyā€™re not too intrusive.

15 Likes

Apologies for the tardy response, a lot happening the last couple of days.
Pics below of the state of the system that Guy @murrayjohnson and Noel heard (while eating fish and chipsšŸ˜) on Wednesday night. Simon @sjs also heard it 5 days prior when delivering the Voyd Ref .5.
System sounds so much better than when Guy last visited. It was direct radiator 12" and 18" OB back then with a TPL150 air motion transformer tweeter.
That was good but this is a different level altogether!

If anyone is in the area and does fancy a listen just give me a shout and I am sure something can be arranged.

22 Likes
4 Likes

I was expecting a Ukranian farmer to come along at the end and tow it away!

1 Like

Making full use of horn loading.
Iā€™d shoot the bloody thing to shut it upšŸ˜‚

What would it be like playing reggae?