New: Recommend a New Car or just moan about random cars šŸ™„

Sounds great.

Think Iā€™ll stick to the Land Cruiser. Iā€™d shit myself in a car like that.

Itā€™s all about weight balance and the amount of power to weight. I drove a Westfield SEeight before I got my Westfield SE 2.1 Pinto (175BHP), the SEeight is no faster as you canā€™t put the power down and in the corners it is slower as there is too much weight at the front.

When I was a member of the ā€˜Westfield clubā€™ (cheap insurance), most aspired to the Duratech Ford 2.0L engine as that was the best as itā€™s light. The really fast ones are the bike engined ones 1.3 Yamaha tuned (one or two engines), insanely fast and light.

Believe me 175BHP in something weighing half a ton and 3" from the ground is more than enough on UK roads. Up to 100mph it would beat all but the hypercars, things like Porkers were eaten for breakfast.

3 Likes

Indeed, a big fat V8 ruins it. All about keeping it light and balanced

Excellent thread title, :+1:

Are you of the two wheeled persuasion, as well as the four. six eightā€¦?

What about a big light v8? Mmmm ls1.

1 Like

Needs a Rotary Wankel otherwise itā€™s shit :+1:

3 Likes

Any V8 is too heavy

http://www.h1v8.com/maxi-v8---specs.html

Ones that exist. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Caterham Seven 160 is all you need. 660cc Motor

3 Likes

Or this for sleeper appeal.
http://www.midgetregister.com/blog/mg-midget-k-series-conversion-examples/

1 Like

This bettererā€¦

Great car, however those shit looking steel rims would be swapped for a set of these or similar the moment I got it home.

3 Likes

I like steel wheels on the right car, otherwise alloys rule.

The roof is next to useless and leaks on most of them, the doors (ha) just flap about, useful on a motorway to stop spray from lorries, otherwise a pain and you wonā€™t use them. Itā€™s a fair weather car and youā€™ll keep it in the garage. You will need a windscreen and 4 or 5 point harness, as well as shock proof goggles, as bees and flies etcā€¦ can blind you.

If you want one, start with a lower power one and work yourself up to a 200bhp+ one, if you are used to normal road cars and try to drive the same way in a Caterham / Westfield, youā€™ll probably bin it and hurt yourself.

They do not have;

1. ABS
  2. A slow reving engine, you press the loud pedal and you are off, instantly. Press it too much (and itā€™s easy to do) in the first 4 gears and you will either; snake, 180 flip, enter a hedge.
  3. Donā€™t be heavy with the brakes, as you will just lock the wheels (as itā€™s very light), you donā€™t need Carlos Fandango tyres either.

Great cars, nothing else like them, but fucking dangerous in the wrong hands. I sold mine as I nearly killed myself twice (wheel fell off on snake pass and 360 into a field, and then full power side into a fence).

10 Likes

How was the ad? One careful owner. Ex+ rarely used.

4 Likes

Sold it to a very nice German fella who was going to track race it in Germany & Holland. He was quite successful with it as it had twin webber 40s and 2.1 pinto, it was in mild tune at 175bhp, I think he got 190+ out of it.

1 Like

My friend sold his recently to a French gent who has a few of them. Traveled over, paid and then drove it to Blackool for it to be converted to lhd.

Iā€™d quite fancy one as a project to build the kit, but thereā€™s no fucking way Iā€™d drive something Iā€™d built!