Notes from a remote island

As soon as they do though that’ll be his chances of a speaking part out of the window …

VB

3 Likes

Cheeky bugger.

On the contrary, he can be the mysterious stranger from ‘The South’*

*Relatively speaking.

2 Likes

Aye, what they call up here “a Sooth mooth”

1 Like

Mind you, Henshall’s accent is nowt like Shetland speak (nor are many of the others TBF)

A nice little tale, though from a bigger island than Fetlar - this one has a village.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9zHOWZ8EJs

1 Like

The weather today was marvellous, a dusting of snow overnight quickly disappeared in the bright sunlight. A little remained on the North facing slopes but even that soon melted. A long morning walk with the girls was a delight.

Imgur

Up on to the main road and heading East there were good numbers of the superbly camouflaged golden plover, a very difficult bird to get close to

Imgur

Twite are gathering in large flocks now as they move towards their breeding window. Always hyperactive, they are feeding relentlessly at the moment.

Imgur

The greylag population seems to be booming of late, I would estimate that there must be around 600 resident birds on the island. One day I will nail the perfect flight shot of this large goose, today wasn’t that day.

Imgur

As I passed Aith barn, one of the many pieces of abandoned farm machinery looked interesting enough for a snap

Imgur

Looking South, the bright sunlight on the sea made for quite a view

Imgur

A view of the hotchpotch of buildings and sheds that constitute home taken from the main road

Imgur

Couldn’t resist a shot of Hildur in the bright sunlight as we reached the road home

Imgur

A couple of bacon sandwiches back at base and the weather was so nice I just had to go out again.

First stop was Brough Lodge and I couldn’t resist a shot of the adjacent folly

Imgur

Next up was the old abandoned ferry terminal. A particular favourite place of mine as the surrounding coastline is great to walk and it’s a top spot for watching seabirds.

Oystercatchers on the seaweed strewn rocks

Imgur

Fulmars were constantly wheeling by

Imgur

Imgur

A rock pipit was pretty elusive and didn’t come very close

Imgur

You generally associate the wren with gardens, woodland and similar habitat. But not here, oh no, the Shetland wren is a hardy little thing and is seen on the coast as often as anywhere else. This particular individual looked well fed which bodes well for the imminent breeding season.

Imgur

Imgur

The girls were having a ball and had certainly managed to find every muddy ditch available.

Imgur
Imgur

Heading back East, Lamb Hoga (first pic in this post) was clear of snow and looked remarkably different from an alternative angle

Imgur

Passing the Mires of Houbie, an extremely elusive teal was a welcome, if distant sight

Imgur

On to Funzie Loch which was almost deserted apart from a goldeneye demonstrating why it has that name, albeit from a long way off!

Imgur

I did call in to see my friend who gave me the scallops last week. I left with another bag of scallops and three large cod fillets!

An absolutely lovely day. I should have been doing some much needed housework but it would have been a crime to be in the house when it was simply glorious outside.

47 Likes

Fantastic shots Paul, especially after the grim weather you have had recently.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin!

I don’t really complain about the weather here, even when it’s extreme, usually I merely comment on it. Today though was just such a crisp, sunny Spring day, it lifted the spirits more than you could imagine.

9 Likes

Wow! Lovely shots and account of your travels

2 Likes

Twite, greylag and fulmar 1 are my favourite shots.

1 Like

Coming from you and the delightful accounts of your rambles, I take that as a huge compliment!

Beautifully natural images Paul… chapeau est off

1 Like

You have some front row seats in nature there Paul. What a show !

1 Like

Fantastic.

1 Like

A wonderful description & photos - thanks!

1 Like

Wow. Love it !

1 Like

What an existence you’ve carved out for yourself up there Paul! I have no idea whether I might ever dwell in such a place, but I can totally relate to it, and a significant part of me envies you deeply. Beautiful and inspiring! Great shots too, as always :pray:

4 Likes

Magnificent, not a gratuitous magnificent, simply magnificent. Additionally, I doff my cap and congratulate the girls on their successful muddy exploits.

1 Like

At its worst, the place would have me necking myself, but at its best - as per your pics Paul - it is orgasmically lovely up there!

Enjoy!

1 Like