Notes from a remote island

No, you didn’t but, jeez, that’s a worry.

TG no distillery there…

1 Like

Carrying out my last voluntary survey for the RSPB this afternoon. Back up on the wader breeding grounds.

Arctic Skua (Pale phase)
ASkua PP3 02 07 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

Oystercatcher near its nest
Oystercatcher 1 02 07 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

Lots of nesting Skylarks up there too
Skylark 1 02 07 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

13 Likes

Beautiful pics, Paul, as always - keep ‘em coming :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Hold the front page!

Big event today, Fetlar 2021 Sheepdog Trials!

The best dogs and handlers that Shetland has to offer turned up on a fine day for this annual event.

I always intended to watch it for an hour or two and take some photographs but within a minute of getting out of the car the organiser and the judge approached me and asked if I would document the event for them. As I was only talking to the organiser (who I know very well) yesterday, I can’t help thinking there was a bit of a plan going on to rope me in for the pics that they want for the Shetland Times feature.

Anyway, the result was that I had to stay for 7 hours (including a fish and chip lunch at the Island Hall)

Still, I quite enjoyed it, the dogs are amazing. Fast agile and trained to perfection - well, most of them!

_DSC2813 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

DSC02657 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

DSC02529 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

DSC02840 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

DSC02539 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

DSC03017 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

I remember being somewhat underwhelmed when this sort of activity was on TV (One Man and His Dog?) but seeing it in the field is a completely different experience. The hours that they have to invest to get the dogs to this level of ability must be off the scale.

21 Likes

Wow, and all the winners are from the same family too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll leave it to you to tell them that.

I’ll just stand back and photograph the ensuing carnage.

2 Likes

Looks as if Shetland is getting ready for its spaceport status - but beware the bonxies!

One of the few breeds of dog that make me feel thick. Once trained or in a routine, they’re always one step ahead of their owner. Clever buggers.

1 Like

More rabbit action in my (very) wild garden

Rabbit 02 12 07 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

9 Likes

Must drive the girls wild :joy:

1 Like

We had some rabbit ‘action’ in our garden a couple of days ago…

Can’t say he wastes much…

1 Like

Blimey, your whippets have bulked out.

3 Likes

Lol!

15 Likes
4 Likes

When Funzie just wasn’t far enough

The Vikings can keep the slaughter islands

1 Like

That’s sickening and pointless slaughter

3 Likes

Cunts

5 Likes

I am appalled at that, the only positive seems to be the groundswell of opinion to stop it