Obituaries

That’s pretty high praise indeed.

1 Like
8 Likes
5 Likes

The soundtrack to my adolescence:

2 Likes

I remember going to see Sunderland at Old Trafford that year when we were both in the old 2nd division. They played that before the match started and I have never heard any PA system at a football match sound louder, it really was deafening.

We wuz robbed btw :rage:

3 Likes

59 posts were split to a new topic: Rest In Peace Dave

11 Likes

That is sad news.:frowning:

Fücking hell!

The saddest of news.
Friday evenings in the 80s, compulsory viewing in our house
Check out the bass line on this

The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (Live @ The Tube 1986) (Remastered) - YouTube

6 Likes

Sad news and far to young

Barbarism off the same performance,is one of my favourite bass lines ever. So funky

10 Likes

That whole song is genius: wailing white boy jangle funk!

AR’s influence on their sound is huge and underrated. I have been quite sad today when I have thought about him passing. :frowning:

4 Likes

I watched this for a couple of minutes before realising it wasn’t a really long intro.

3 Likes

It is sad to hear about the death of Lester Ska Sterling. He was the last of the original members of my favourite band, the Skatalites. He played many alto Saxophone.

He was one of the founder members of the group. They were the foundation of Jamaican music. As as well as the Skatalites, he played with Byron Lee & The Dragonaires, Tommy McCook & The Supersonics, Clue J & The Blues Blasters, and many more. Going from Jamaican Rhythm & Blues to ska, to Rocksteady to Reggae, he helped to shape the development of the music, helping it to become a worldforce and influence.

He played on many of my favourite tunes. Many from my childhood.

RIP Lester SKA Sterling

8 Likes

Martin Amis

3 Likes

Never heard of them before, recognise a few of the songs from the Specials but they are really mellow and funky.

@SCIDB is there any chance you could start a thread on ska or twotone as I’m clueless to it but all the stuff you post is interestingl?

4 Likes

Wow that is quite some loss to literary world, his oeuvre a mixed bag in my (very) humble opinion but some of the early works were seminal.

Also quite fucking depressing that a literary giant like him hasn’t knocked Philip Schofield off the main headline…

1 Like

Who?

4 Likes

…Gives a fuck?