Obituaries

The mad routes we sometimes find our way into music! It was the Chicken Shack cover that I heard first, part of the memory is the girl who played it to me :grinning:

Early Fleetwood Mac was all blues covers too,
I remember John McVie being interviewed and he said that at one time, if it wasn’t an Elmore James number they wouldn’t play it!

1 Like

Yeah, much of the time music=memories

So sad my chicken shack girl has passed …gutted .

I’ve got this recollection of watching Fleetwood Mac supporting Chicken Shack at the Shay football ground, Halifax in about 1969 / 70 a year before they merged. Can’t find any record of it online - did I imagine it or can anyone remember?

They didn’t merge.
Christine Perfect left Chicken Shack when she married John McVie and joined FM, the rest of Chicken Shack carried on with different members and are still around today. Stan Webb has been a constant.
Musicians moved around a bit in Blues bands.
The chap I bought my house from played in Chicken Shack at one point, and Savoy Brown and the Keef Hartley band etc

2 Likes

Thank you for that - somehow I thought the old FM broke up when Peter Green left and merged with CS. Didn’t realise Chicken Shack were still around.

5 Likes

Only just found out about this - was a legacy he leaves.

6 Likes

Yanks and their McIntosh; MX110 preamp/tuner mounted in wall.

1 Like

In 1992 I was posted to Soest which is by the Mohne dam. Every year for the reunion some of the guys would stay in the Officers mess but would always come to the pigs bar for drinks as they preferred the atmosphere there.

Wish I’d paid more attention to their stories.

9 Likes

Saw the Stranglers at Wembley in 1979 supporting The Who. Thought they were shit but I was wrong. Love them now, shall be playing a few sides tonight.

7 Likes

:sob:

Oh bugger.

:frowning_face:

:frowning:

He was a character in the band at gigs. I can’t remember half the gigs i saw him play, which is just the way it should be for that band. The ones i do remember were all happy times so thanks for those and rest in peace.

1 Like

I know 84 is a great innings but it is still a terrible loss.

Ah bollocks - had a bit of a shitty day and now this news tops it off :frowning_face:

Heard a relevant story on the radio last week. Woman in Ireland had seen the Stranglers in Ulster, early days. A riot, everyone piled on stage. ‘Sometimes they let us stay sometimes we got turfed off in those days. This night we stayed, I sidled up to the drummer, told him I played. Great he said, I need a piss, take over for a bit!’ After which they launched into Peaches with guest drummer.

Words to that effect, I thought it a nice story. RIP

4 Likes

RIP Jet Black - The Stranglers were my #1 fave band when I was 14-15 years old, and by all accounts he was sound as a pound in person.

Only JJ and Hugh of the original lineup left now, and Hugh won’t be going/invited back… Getting old sucks… :sob:

2 Likes

Probably my favourite band of the late 70s, Those first 4 albums still sound great.

Love the story of when they played in Scotland,and the heavy metal audience wanted to kill them,so they made their escape in jet blacks ice cream van

2 Likes