Porridge wankery and other vileness (was Inspiring achievements)

smoked oats

it appears to be a thing Smoked Oatmeal with Coconut Milk Recipe | Traeger Grills

I could see that working. Weirdly, I think a mushroom porridge could work quite well, really push those earthy notes etc.

you could be right - chopped finely like a Brunoise and or using some liquid from soaking some dried mushrooms. Perhaps addressed with some mushroom powder?

I wonder what the base of Heston’s snail porridge was…here we go Snail Porridge: Heston Blumenthal's snail recipes | Food | The Guardian

1 Like

come to think of it, I am sure I recall a mushroom congee somewhere in China. Although it is a rice porridge.

Interesting to compare that to what he does in the Fat Duck cookbook. Biggest difference seems to be the use of a duck ham in the parsley butter instead of the parma ham.

He also adds in an extra braising process for the snails too, and a vinaigrette.

1 Like

hmmm crispy smoked bacon shards and mushroom porridge.

1 Like

Whatever the oats, hipster or otherwise, they all work in a saucepan. :+1:

1 Like

A man with time to spare :grinning:

Rushing is the death of everything.

3 Likes

I once had salted (ground) rice porridge in Tallin, it was foul.

Mushroom porridge . . . the Prof approves :crazy_face:

You jest but I’ve seen pictures of bored USAF mechanics cooking a deer using the output of an old cavity magnetron based bombing radar. Some sort of Cocosan kitchenware using early Cold War radar innards would be very him.

2 Likes

addressed. :slight_smile:

dusted

Twit. :slight_smile:

Like everything and everything else on this forum, this is old news

Advice stands.

2 Likes

rong

swirl of Marmite and grind of black pepper

This has about as much shock value as the The Evil Dead remake.

2 Likes

The Boris Johnson of porridge

4 Likes

Brooks

4 Likes