Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Guy
Baking SSS Ampex tapes is only a temporary solution to allow you to duplicate the tape to new tape stock. The binder on these tapes was hygroscopic and absorbed water. There are some threads on tapeheads using Nufinish car polish as a fix - that’s not a permanent fix either and just gums up your tape heads and guides.
Richard Hess, who coordinates the Studer, MCI and Sony users groups on yahoo is one of the world’s experts on tape preservation. Here’s his page on SSS.
https://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/degrading-tapes/
Good luck
Charlie
PS I would rebake the tape again and then duplicate this onto a new tape copy as well as a digital archive

2 Likes

@murrayjohnson it seems to play all the others at correct speed just not your one.

Saying that, both players seem to playing different tracks on some tapes.

Think I’ll be cashing them in for a streamer.
Saying that, I might keep the tandberg as a nice ornament.

When you play the old 2track mono tapes you need to disconnect the Right channel output on a 4 track machine. I made up a lead with one phono plug (which I connect to the L channel output) which is wired to connect to 2 phono plugs that I connect to the amplifier for a dual mono output. Otherwise the R channel is trying to play the other track of the mono tape but in reverse.

1 Like

After a couple of false starts, we have music

https://youtu.be/YfG42i0lz1w

9 Likes
2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Technics 1500 R2R

I am going to makeup tapes from various sources as opposed to purchasing prerecorded …Alan T is a master at this and I have picked up some interesting tips from him …Guys and Wayne’s prerecorded are a pleasure to listen too when I’m at the venues they attend or vice versa …

1 Like

Technics 1500 R2R - HiFi / Classifieds - Audio Abattoir

:rofl: :rofl:

R2R restoration about to start on the Repair Shop, bbc1 now

4 Likes

Just bought one of these buggers so that I can start transferring my existing pre-recorded tapes onto 2T (well when I can get my RS1500 sorted anyway).

It records 2T and has 2&4T playback at 7.5 and 15 ips, plus switchable NAB -IEC.

Mine is not a pristine unit like the one below and looks well used.

9 Likes

nice looking RS1500

That’s the unit @Mickyricky recently sold I think.

1 Like

yes

Yes I can confirm this … it’s a cracking unit still …He is downsizing and would take a decent phono stage as part ex,which should help the sale .I’m happy with my Tascam BR 20 ,again serviced by Alan T

1 Like

Excellent timing for this to arrive.

4 Likes

Any use to anyone?

I understand that they are all sold now !

1 Like

Now I’ve got the Technics back (still waiting for the TEAC X1000M as there’s a few original parts needed to be sourced) I’ve been making a tape for electronic music mad nephew, with some hi-res files through the DAC and recorded at 7.5ips onto Maxell XLi tape.

Said nephew is losing his fruit hearing this crank out Kraftwerk ‘Home Computer’ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

He’ll be bending his parents ears all the way home about getting a 2T R2R :rofl:

7 Likes