Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

I heard that years ago with cassettes. I always did it prior to playing, I still have no idea why :thinking:

Hopefully I get a reply from the tech soon and can get it there and back in a reasonable time.

Does the Revox have a mono switch? Those WRC mono tapes are effectively 2 track with one channel (half the tape width) carrying one side of the album in one direction & the other channel carrying the other side of the album in the opposite direction. To play them on the 4 track TEAC i have to use a lead with a single phono (attached to the Left output of the tape deck but wired to 2 phonos (in parallel) at the amp end. Not quite ideal but necessary as the 4 track head doesn’t run the two tracks next to one another so while the left channel is playing the side of the tape you’re after, the R channel head is playing the other side of the tape in reverse! I think I’ve seen some machines that allow you to configure which track plays what but the TEAC doesn’t. I’ve no doubt those 3 3/4 mono tapes would be more impressive with a proper mono head playing the whole width of the track.

Yes seems it has.

1 Like

Cool.

I love the R2R resurgence, vinyl is too easy to buy so let’s have a challenge :smiley:

1 Like

Adequately expensive

3 Likes

Cunts.

7 Likes

Nice Nagra R2R.

4 Likes

https://bottlehead.com/?product=eros-tape-head-preamplifier-kit

@coco I mean, we need a BTJ-9000 LCR tape head preamplifier right?

6 Likes

:smiley:

This is a tube R2R.

1 Like
2 Likes

There’s another company similar to them who do amps and speakers in USA and they also did something for tape that I didn’t really understand when I saw it. I can never remember their name though. Will try to pluck it out of my brain.

This was it. You ave to modify the R2R though, why?
http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZP3.htm

Typically the pre amplifier and eq, equivalent of a phono stage, is built into the R2R, so they need to be modified to have the output from the heads directly.

Ok thanks. I wanted a R2R when I saw it anyway!

Just noticed one of the distros I deal with carries a small range of reel-to-reel tapes, albeit the usual safe and predictable audiophool fodder… and then I checked the prices…

~£300 each… :open_mouth:

1 Like

Why not buy some demo tapes that you can then sell later at a discount?

:smirk:

larfta

How much margin do you imagine there is on this stuff?!

You’d be looking at £200 at best with me taking nothing in profit.

Buggered if I’d pay that much for me, much less expect anyone else to!

3 Likes