Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

All 3 3/4 except the classical which are 7 1/2 ips.

I’ve been listening to some of them tonight. Both the Pickett & Sledge are good (some really nice songs on the latter) but the Eric Burdon & particularly the Janis Joplin are exceptional. Both 1967 & both really have the vibe of that year.

1 Like

Nice :+1:

Fantastic deck but the price, meh.

Some of the Axelrod produced Rawls is good. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Only the same as a 2nd hand SME V or IO - so not bad value considering.:thinking:

2 Likes

I have one of these. Makes attaching new leader tape very easy.

1 Like

3 Likes

Settled in to new house and having received back the Revox from expensive repair and setup (previous owner Charliechan totally screwed me on it) it’s been put to good use in a hipster kitchen radio setup.

9 Likes

Looks great Jack. A few years of toast smoke and fryup spatter did our kitchen mini system no good at all though (check the Vent-Axia inlet at your local chippy next time you’re in). Admittedly our mix did also include quite a lot of plaster dust as we had pretty much the whole house done a room at a time over the same few years.

VB

Quite a big kitchen and the other side of the room so should be ok, I’m more likely to drunkenly throw wine on it or drop cheese inside anyway.

Just remembered, I need to get that Modwright amp back from you and settle up!

The Gentleman’s decanter - A sign of decorum and sophistication - Excellent ruse!

I keep the blood from customers of past in it.

2 Likes

And there was I thinking it was kahlua …

VB

Bisto was my first thought but Miso would probably set the scene for Japanese SUT sales

3 Likes

Butt plug.

A reminder of why the faff is worth it. I can’t get this quality of sound from classical music from any other format.

For those that say,“you could record it losslessly into digital form” that might be true, but I can’t actually buy the source material at this quality in any other way that I’m aware of.

3 Likes

It’d be interesting to try some of those. They have another Schoenberg / Mehta / LA Phil / Decca recording at 24/192 for $18. I wonder if their transfers are better than the HD Tracks ones I’ve tried.

The issue then is, does my laptop with JRiver, playing back such a file through my USB Dac (with its own psu) really do justice to such files?

Incidentally, I checked my ebay account. I paid £5.95 for that tape!