Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Well, I bought the bagpipes for the reel and box (£15) I was also hoping to use the tape but it’s spliced with leader tape after every track.

I love me some Jazz Prog though.

To be fair, can’t argue with the Eric Bibb.

1 Like

I make no defence of my taste in music, it’s on par with my taste in cars.

2 Likes

Eh? This is a problem now?

1 Like

Nope, but there seems plenty of people who lose their mind at the concept of a $500 reel to reel album.

No more stupid than a £10K mains lead.

Or a Shakti stone?

1 Like

Or even 3

200wkj

My only real issue with expensive mains leads is some of the spurious claims manufacturers have about their wonderous performance. But otherwise if that’s what floats ya boat :slight_smile:

Perspective. I sold this 45 six years ago for £10K, I recently heard it had changed hands again for £14K

Is £10,000 a lot for 2:40 secs of of rare but poorly recorded music?

A: Yes
B: Not of you love it and can afford it
C: Not as an investment.

When you start getting into the art / artifact / collecting aspects (Master tapes etc) there is a lot more to it than music (The same can be said for any antique). It is odd (Obsession and compulsion tends to be) I know several guys who’s collections are worth vast sums who would laugh at a £1000 cartridge. Equally I know some fairly serious hifi bods who would scorn a £100 record. In truth both types are touched in the head. Personally I love them both and attempt to profit from them in equal measure - I am a equal opportunities scumbag.

13 Likes

Whose.

Oh, hai.

1 Like

Exactly but without the profit.

1 Like

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/nope-gif-11.gif

Its hard to profit when you buy on impulse and compulsively hoard.

I’ve found it very difficult too. I am a collector who is supposedly in business. This combo makes for a world of woe. The only working discipline I’ve found useful is to sell any record I’ve not listened to in the past three years (Other than stock purchased for the express intention of flipping) If I don’t love it, it’s not staying. This all seems reasonable to me until I listen to the thing before selling and then sometimes think “I do actually quite like this” At which point I have a nap and the record sits in the maybe room for another 3 years.

…Give me that dragons den money.

6 Likes

My local record shop was like this for years. If you found something good, Mr T would look at it, shake his head, and declare that it wasn’t for sale and promptly take it home with him.

When he passed away a load of records I tried to buy suddenly came back into the shop and I managed to snag a few of them.

2 Likes

I think this is endemic in a lot of record shops. I know of at least 3 shops that exist solely to facilitate the owners addiction to collecting.

1 Like

When attempting to make money out of something you love logic can get challenged. Music is a very emotive playground, logic is challenged further. To be knowledgeable enough to run a successful shop (physical or otherwise) particularly in the used record game, a significant amount of time effort and expense is required. Actually scrub significant and replace with obsessive. This trait shows logic the door with the quickness.
I do not wish to paint every dealer as a lunatic / spectrum dweller / emotionally stunted but the percentages are high. This said the few that navigate this painful swamp and emerge with some balance at the other side are some of the most decent human beings I’ve had the pleasure to meet.

6 Likes

Deep man.

Normal service will resume soon

1 Like