Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Jolly good, I did experience a moment of concern

1 Like

Stronzetto after snorting half a bottle of Harpic with a tile sealant chaser.

3 Likes

VTA looks high.

1 Like

Three Blind Mice released tapes

Japanese Jazz at 15ips :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You really have lost it, haven’t you. :grin:

4 Likes

Was there any reggae released?

I’d of thought maybe some Marley,but anything else?

Maybe if I manage to buy one, they seem to sell for about a grand in Japan.

1 Like

For a moment, I thought you had bought it :thinking:

Totally would.

3 Likes

Never seen a single tape.

Reggae is too niche for tape, which is the preserve of bagpipes, nasal flute concertos, visual kei, and William Shatner covers.

3 Likes

Looking forward to this one when it eventually comes. I love the Liszt piano sonata & being on RCA this should be pretty special.

3 Likes

Nice. Yep should be good recording that :+1:

Given that a sustained piano note is possibly the ultimate test for speed stability on a t/t, how does R2R perform in comparison?

Wow and flutter on the X3r that Guy has is 0.06% so it shouldn’t be too bad.

After all most vinyl starts off on tape anyway.

Yes, but on extremely high quality machines, for the most part. Then, the transfer to vinyl is possibly as good as it gets, but I’m interested in how it manifests itself on domestic machines.

Not interested in the figures, just the subjective experience.

Well the specs of the high machines are comparable, particularly since we are talking about 50s/60s recordings.

I’m actually quite interested how wow and flutter would be different to the turntable, I have a tape project test tape coming so I will have to have a look.

The speed stability really isn’t an issue for me. It’s every bit as good subjectively as the SP10, Motus or CD player. But where it scores is from the fff right down to the ppp particularly with piano music. For the proper gradation & naturalness of tone I haven’t had better. The decay of notes is entirely consistent & predictable ie as expected.

1 Like

I shall have to set up the Io Ltd on the FR64 & commit Midnight Sugar to tape :grinning:

3 Likes

3 Likes

I have the recent 45rpm release, it’s going on tape so I don’t have to keep getting up to turn it over.