Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

In theory the BBC could have these pulled from eBay

Yes, and daft price, but still interesting.

I haven’t tried recording anything from vinyl. It could only be wòrse than playing the LP but it would-be fun trying. It’s a lively recording albeit one with some strange arrangements and playing.

I’ve not heard a Ts tape but the pressing quality of the Ts disks was a tad hit and miss

I guess it would’ve had to be something that would have sold well in the US in the 70s and early 80s. I don’t think much reggae would have although I might be wrong.

Have you had the FR64 rewired, or do you just have the extra two wires taped to the arm tube?

taped to the tube. I’m not sure who you’d even get to work on an FR. I recall J7 saying he didn’t fancy it but Thomas Schick seems to have disassembled one on his site.

Interesting, but why not?

Not that I’d buy them but it doesn’t even say what speed they are does it? I’m guessing these are 7" reels 2T 7.5 ips?

I don’t know. Johnnie just said he didn’t fancy it & couldn’t see how to get in!

1 Like

I think it says 19cm somewhere.

Judging by the content & playing time I’m guessing 2T 7 1/2. They ought to sound pretty good.

Everyone scrambling to remove the spring now. :grin:

The guy I visited last weekend who had the FR-66 had his spring backed off to the max & was just moving the counterweight to set VTF. (Because of Schick and some other German FR nuts)

Hmm, I’ve got an extra heavy counterweight, so it might be worth trying.

I’m quite happy to have a go at taking apart anyone’s FR arm :+1:

5 Likes

A 66 weight for a 64?

No, I think it is a W-205. It’s the FR extra heavy counterweight for an FR64

Not sure which one I have. seems to balance out the Io well enough.