Copy Everything!

1 Like

Shhhh :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Think you’re right.

Buy it Wayne. Buy. It. Now. :grinning:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Replaced the kaput capstan belt on the Tascam.

Had to remove 30 various screws and components to get the front plate off, then another 4 to release the plate that the head block sits on, which has the flywheel attached to the underside:

Old belt vs new. The thinner slightly longer belt is the old one, apart from the obvious discrepancy in length, what the photo can’t show is how floppy and lacking in elasticity the old one is. Thankfully I caught it at this stage, before it had turned into tar…

Gave the heads and tape path a good clean while I was in there. This just shows how important tape path hygiene is, because that machine had probably only had about 5 tapes through it since I last cleaned it.

She riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiides!

Sounds pretty good, but not as good as the Sony.

9 Likes
1 Like

Made a tape recording on RS1500 today.
It worked and it’s sounds pretty good.
Plugged phono stage straight into Technics and recorded a record.
Good fun.
Next job. Tape club :face_with_hand_over_mouth::shushing_face:

9 Likes

Looks nice.

How’s the Velvet Vortex with tapes ? :smiley:

Hehe they come out a bit wet but veils are lifted :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Arrived in the post this morning.

10 Likes

By armoured car? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Eh?

They are very expensive, therefore need a secure form of delivery :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Actually despite this one usually going for decent money, I sniped this one for record money and got a good deal on postage and no import tax. Might be my cheapest 7.5 ips tape :grinning:

7 Likes

I don’t care if it works or not, looks great.

No idea regarding provenance, but an interesting tape all the same.

Nice new tape plays really well at 3.75ips. Compares very well to the LP which I’ve got.

4 Likes

Just recorded the master quality d/l of @Nick_Dartmoor album:

https://nickholden1.bandcamp.com/album/on-holiday-by-mistake

Recorded it at 7.5ips onto BASF TP18 as a test of both the Sony and the tape. Used my phone (Samsung Galaxy 7 edge ) via it’s headphone jack as the source. I was going to stream via Chromecast but it’s been a bit glitchy, dropping out etc so I just hooked it up to my amp via a Belkin 3.5mm to RCA cable.

I have to say, it sounds really, really good.

I’ve got flac downloads of some downmixes from 5.1 of various Talking Heads albums that I’m going to transfer so it’ll be interesting to hear how they turn out.

Oh, and if you’re using your phone as a source, remember to switch it to airplane mode to prevent annoying editing… :rage:

3 Likes