Relaxing tropical holidays

Most “non-Western” tourist economies :grin:

1 Like

Kay went to Gambia in a previous life, shes keen for somewhere neither of us have visited before.

1 Like

Oman.

1 Like

Thailand, Ao Nang / Krabi province or Ko Lanta.
Drops mic.

So Thailand is a definite possibility.
Koh Yao Noi looks like it would suit, not too busy, not too much messing to get there and has some nice beaches.
Anyone stayed there?

1 Like

Not been but ensure you fly direct to Phuket (and take a speed boat from there) or the travel times on a short holiday may be an ass burn

1 Like

Yep, direct from London to Phuket and around an hour by boat.

1 Like

I always thought Phuket was two words :roll_eyes:

(sad_trombone.wav)

1 Like

Rather that than Bangkok.

Is there a flight option? Worth looking at if so

London>Phuket>Boat>Beach

1 Like

No I meant from Phuket to the resort. I did this in the Maldives as an alternative to the hour long speed boat journey, and I arrived much happier than those that took the boat. It was some kind of sea boat for about half a dozen people.

When we went to the Maldives the boat transfer looked like the sort of thing you see on the river at Stratford on Avon, apart from the two huge Mercury outboards. The 40 minute trip was “interesting” :pleading_face:

Ah right, no theres only boat connection.

Not been to Thailand in years but it used to be the further south you went the more chilled out it was.
Pre tsunami Ao Nang / Krabi was great a fine balance of stuff to do and not many tourists. Post Tsunami it was 4x bigger and 10x busier. We bounced out after 2 days, went to Ko Lanta and stayed on Ba Kan Tieng beach which was great except the friend I travelled with contracted Dengue Fever and spent a week in hospital.
There was a lot of building work going on though so suspect it’s full of resorts and has lost its charm now.
Personally I’d be heading for Laos or Vietnam these days if I was a ‘rambling man’. I’m fat and lazy now though so all inclusive cocktails and pad thai would be the deciding factors.

1 Like

Zanzibar

2 Likes

I got back to London last night from 3 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia. Anyone considering going there should go now before the Chinese start to travel again. Both countries were quiet compared to before Covid mostly due to very few Koreans and no Chinese tourists. Good for me but not so good for the locals involved in tourism.

PITA to get to, we went about 10 years ago, but well worth the flight hassle.
Stayed at Breezes on east coast. Food was amazing.
Little commercial fishing in the area so the diving was some of the best ever.
Coming back one morning there were Humpbacks breaching in the distance.
On our bucket list to go back again. There were rumours of direct flights via Italy which would swing it.

1 Like

Flew to Doha and down to Zanzibar on Qatar airways. 2 hour break in the middle. 6ish hours for each flight. Stayed at Pongwe Beach. Highly recommended. Great food.

1 Like