Resigning

The counter offer was 10%. Id still hate the place no matter what they pay.

6 Likes

If you hate the place and have no intention of going back then just agree a date with your new employer asap and just go. Itā€™s not as if your old employer can get you jail time. At your level do you have an enforceable non-compete clause?

I think the legal penalty if less than a weeks notice is suing for consequential losses, again I doubt that would be enfoced below senior exec levels in any Company.

Fuck em and go.

Arent i breaching contract if i leave before completion of notice period?

Sick note required?

1 Like

You are. I think that Bobā€™s point is that thereā€™s fuck all they are likely to do about it, as their loss will probably be mitigated by not having to pay you any salary, and consequential losses are hard to calculate.

But for me itā€™s not a legal issue but a moral one - even if I thought they were basically evil I still would work out any agreed notice period. Although if they were evil I doubt Iā€™d be working that hard. Thereā€™s a lot of training material to read on the internet and in books, for exampleā€¦

Most likely.

Iā€™ve often found that your current employer plays it safe at first and seeks to protect their own business by trying to keep hold of you as long as possible to give themselves more time to adjust and cope. Its usually pointless trying to negotiate when theyā€™re in that frame of mind.

Wait a week or two and make a judgement as to whether they have started to accept it and are making other arrangements for your departure. If so this is the time to go back with your handover/ task completion plan and show progress. They might be in a different place by that time and more willing to listen to an argument that they have cover in place and you will effectively be twiddling your thumbs and drawing an unnecessary salary.

Be a bit patient and watch for the signs, choose your moment carefully and be prepared.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a shame this job offer didnā€™t come four weeks ago.

I am not sure that I agree with the sick note idea.
Preparing a comprehensive handover plan with timings would be a good idea.
Then try and re negotiate.

I literally have nothing to hand over.
Boredom is a big part of my leaving, that and the role not being as described.
The 3 month period seems very excessive when the last 3 months have been mostly thumb twiddling with the odd bit of pointless work thrown in.

Didnā€™t you say that your line manager was away at the moment?
HR might be sticking to the 3 months until they speak to him/her.
If you can get your line manager onside HR will probably fall in line.

HR have said its manager who needs to negotiate.
Manager was very vague.

Not surprised they were vague, how long have they had to think about it?
You handed your notice in and expect them to move from the official position in the same day.
Any one would need a bit of time to think it through and discuss with whoever.

You have asked for a quicker leave time, chill out for a few days and let them process that.
If you push them now they will dig their heels in.

7 Likes

Fair comment.

there must be someone who could pick up your role pro tem - suggest a plan to backfill at a lower level with a temp and have someone (you will train) step up into the role - might save them recruitment hassle and fees - again show them a plan

its all about helping the manager come up with a plan and look good by saving - plus being robust and implying you will fuck off with no notice if really pushed but you dont want to do that - Kev makes a great point about how to do this - slowly and work with them

good luck

As i said, i have nothing to hand over. Literally nothing.
A hand over plan would be a blank postit note.

just tell them they can save a load of money letting you go quickly. That trumps everything in most places.

1 Like

Dirty protest in reception?

6 Likes

What about a list of responsibilities you have that need passing on?

Another one? Will lack impact to repeat it.

3 Likes

Part of the reason they wonā€™t let you go may be budgetary or political. If they let you go because you have nothing to hand over, they may be worried that they could be prevented from replacing you like for like.

2 Likes