Resigning

Maybe 2 lines on a postit.

Manager back in office Friday so will discuss then.
Main points being, i am 3 weeks out of my probation and only 7 months with company. I have very little i need to do or hand over.

Hmm, desperate to leave job where he gets paid to do fuck all. Might live to regret thatā€¦ :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Doubtful, extreme boredom is quite depressing.

3 Likes

We appear to have the same job - except Iā€™ve been in my (totally-surplus-to-requirements) role for 12 yearsā€¦

Im lucky, i realised in the first month.

I realised pretty quickly but have stayed for kids/mortgage/decent salary reasons. :frowning_face:

Thoroughly depressing though.

Ive taken a salary drop to get out. For my mental health its worth it.
It really has been 7 months of hell

2 Likes

Last time I moved, I went to the manager and suggested teo months and agreed that I would complete the designs for the project I had been working on, and hand it over. He agree to that and it was relatively painless.

Previous job to that, they made me work my full notice on the basis withe justification that they needed to hire a replacement and I had to be there. This was definitely debatable, and even after several attempts, they were unwilling to compromise.

While itā€™s unlikely that anything serious would come if you just walked, itā€™s never a good idea to burn bridges.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t that a status quo song?

Last time I left before starting my own company, it went as well as I could have possibly hoped given the circumstances. My notice period was 6 months and there were all kinds of contractual restrictions on who I could work for and doing what. I was also a major earner for them and brought in over a tenth of their annual revenue; led offer development, talent recruitment and retention (oh the irony!) and also did work that they couldnā€™t do (ie practical delivery rather than just writing reports).

I had a long heart to heart with the MD and he very kindly agreed to let me go at the end of the week, so I could start my assignment the following Monday under my own name. He didnā€™t want to let me go but knew that there was nothing to keep me there and it was in his words the right thing to do and so I went with their blessing. We still keep in touch and I get invited to some of their events etc.

When I handed my notice in at BMW that was an entirely different kettle of fish!

Its a week now since i handed my notice in saying i want to negotiate my notice period.
So far, radio silence, no communication at all.

I need to give new employer a start date.

Im going to send the following email later today or tomorrow morning.
Does it read ok?

Hi ,

I think we need to take some decisive action regarding my termination of employment. With the confusion and lack of paperwork surrounding the notice period and considering I handed in my notice only 3 weeks after passing probabation. I think a last working day of Friday 12th July is more than sufficient and fair as a handover period.

I am going to sign my contract to join a new firm by tomorrow end of business. In order to do this, I need you to confirm that you agree with the end date I have suggested.

Please respond ASAP.
Andy

probabation?

I may proof read before sending.

1 Like

I would remove the two ā€œI thinkā€.

1 Like

Iā€™m no expert at these kinds of letters but it looks ok to me. Others who do dabble in this kind of HR related bollocks may take a different view.

1 Like

I think you should make it shorter by half

1 Like

Replace with ā€˜I suggestā€™

3 Likes

Is your Line manager back at work now?
Have you talked to him?

He is back but in the Stevenage office, im in Bristol.
Ive had no reply to email and cant get him on the phone.

1. This depends crucially on whether your employers agree with your views on ā€˜confusion and lack of paperwork etc.ā€™ If they disagree then you are starting off on the back foot.

2. This is the important bit. Get it up front and use firmer language.

3. Get rid of this as it implies that you are going to resign whatever they say.

I would keep it simple:
(i) I have found alternative employment which necessitates that I leave on July 12th.
(ii) I will deal with whatever handover tasks you deem appropriate prior to July 12th.
(iii) I would add some flannel to soften the email, but do this last (enjoyed my time, etc)

Be very firm but polite.

8 Likes