Rest In Peace Dave

Sad news but what a great guy. He was always great company but the best of him I saw at Munich hi-end. His enthusiasm for the shiny was on a completly different level to the rest of us! He was like a kid in a toy shop. Non-stop enthusiasm for 3 days - on the train there, at lunch, at dinner… Infectious. :grin:

15 Likes

:frowning:

The end of a full life, safe travels Dave.

1 Like

I still laugh at a story Dave told me about when he was a skirt chasing youngster in London. He was seeing a bird who was also seeing Mick Jagger and he was convinced his good looks and charm would win her over.

Mick took her to the south of France

Dave got dumped

24 Likes

How sad. I had noticed he hadn’t posted recently and feared the worst.
I love the minutiae of history, and reading his stories always brought a smile to my face. I’ll miss that.
RIP

2 Likes

He was married at least once wasn’t he ? ISTR his wife was something to do with the music scene on Eel Pie Island. I’ve got it in my head that he mentioned a son too, but I may just be mis-remembering that.

2 Likes

Sad news.

I have known he for a number of years. Met him at various bake offs & HiFi Shows. We always had a good natter. Tales of the 60s music scene & his acting were always interesting.

I liked his keenness to buy obscure HiFi from all over the place. He bought some tasty looking stuff!

I take my hat off to him. He hit some big “sixes” in life and had a great inning.

RIP Dave

11 Likes

Very sad news indeed.

Dave loved Scalford very much and would email me excitedly about what kit he might be bringing. Given his esoteric tastes I had rarely heard of any of it, and used to pretend to be wowed by it. “Oh really Dave, wow, I can’t wait to hear that” Not knowing if it’s an amp or a cartridge.

Usually listening to it turned the fake wow into a real one.

It was great to see the other advert, I’d only seen the ikea one before today. If anyone knows of anything else he was in please do share it.

15 Likes

Oh no, what a lovely bloke he was too!

RIP Dave, you’ll be very much missed, but remembered fondly.

Rob.

6 Likes

He had a cameo part in eastenders,but no idea how to find it.

It terms of British culture,Dave imo was born at exactly the right time and place,around 18 at the start of the 60s. Bet Dave could of written a fascinating book of his exploits through the 60s and 70s in London.

11 Likes

Dave is on my long-list of “People Who Really Should-of [sic] Written a Sodding Book”, even mentioned it to him, but modesty forbade, and such entreaties always seem to fall on deaf ears…

I do wish interesting people realised how boring and mundane the lives of people like me are… :drooling_face: :sleeping: Let us live vicariously, dammit!

7 Likes

Very sad news. RIP Dave.

1 Like

You might be able to find it if you anyone knows Dave’s stage name.

Wonder if it was.

David Goldener Plattenspielere

1 Like

I’m David’s brother and these messages are giving me joy.
Thank you.
David was never married but one of his girlfriends runs The Eel Pie Club.

60 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up Alan, and welcome.

I was lucky enough to visit David in Ham a couple of times and remember him very fondly indeed.

1 Like

Loving the username!

Nice to hear from you and of course very sorry for your loss of a much loved brother.

2 Likes

Welcome Alan, thanks for dropping-by.

1 Like

Welcome Alan.

1 Like

One of the things Dave and I had in common was that we were both in recovery and didn’t drink.
After one particulary raucous evening when a large contingent of meatmen were all together in a restuarant in Munich, Dave and I decided that one such evening was enough, and the next evening we went to a different restuarant on our own.
It was an evening I remember fondly as Dave regaled me with many stories of his life, he lived in Australia for a while and also spent quite a bit of time in California.
Despite my protestations Dave insisted on picking up the bill
He was also very generous in other ways. I upgraded my system a few years ago and bought an M7 linestage and Pete agreed to build me a phonostage. I mentioned to Dave that I would need to get a phonostage to tide me over and he immediately offered to lend me one, which I promptly kept for two years!
Returning it gave me an opportunity to visit him again and hear his system (I was always impresssed by the Blumenhofer speakers) and take him out to dinner as a thank you.

RIP Dave

44 Likes

Absolutely! At the start of covid he offered me a preamp after I posted asking for advice on what to get. He let me have it for nearly two years and refused everything I offered him for it, so in the end I had to post him something to say thanks.

13 Likes