Ruby Murray

They are fine in anything cooked.

1 Like

I’d be much more worried about it in chicken.

2 Likes

Amritsari fried fish curry/jeera rice

@NAM Fantastic, thanks for the tip. I did it with a bit of pollock I found in the freezer, which was a bit tricky to keep from falling apart. Next time something more substantial… Very delicious though, it all went! :grin:

7 Likes

Methi Chicken, Carrot Fry, Cucumber and Red onion raita, Red Onion and Kolangi salad

4 Likes

Used up half of my remaining precious frozen curry leaves making this for a late breakfast

Then a few more making this for the kids lunch which, disappointingly, they didn’t like (but my wife and I loved despite still being stuffed from breakfast :joy:)

These would make a great veggie sausage ‘substitute’

2 Likes

Made paneer, using yoghurt- @anon14766838 it took more than last time, luckily I had lots of home made left to use up. Seems to be more variable than lemon juice, I guess because both the milk and the acidity of the yoghurt vary.

Going to make matar paneer. Saved some whey to use in the gravy instead of water.

2 Likes

I’ve bought some poha, but the rest of the family need convincing away from their normal breakfast. :roll_eyes:

Anyway, in an effort to align bbq and curry today I’m having a go at this:
http://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-in-a-curry/kandhari-murgh-tikka-chicken-with-spices-pomegranate-molasses/

1 Like

Can you point me at the tofu press you bought? I’m craving further uniformity to my paneer. :grin: I made some this week and it resembled a bit of somewhat crazed/torn packing polystyrene! It was fab tasting and didn’t fall apart but I kind of want to get it better looking.

Last few times mine has been a bit on the crumbly side…fine if it’s fried before adding to sauce but without frying it kind of melts and dissolves.

I think when I used yoghurt last I fried before cooking though so maybe would have had the same problem.

I’d read that could happen if the curds were too cool before pressing but that didn’t seem to make much difference last time.

That said, even pressing on the strongest setting the tofu is soft and not rubbery at all.

1 Like

It makes a great lunch or dinner as well :+1:

That’s what we generally did before lockdown

1 Like

Thanks, unavailable due to Covid supply chain reasons. Went to their site and registered. :+1:

That looks good i look forward to your piccies and description.

I can see myself having a go at that

1 Like

Gulp! I hope I don’t fuck things up then, there was always the chance of ‘forgetting’ to take a pic. :grin:

I shall be pretty much be doing it the way you did the ones at Lopwell. The marinade tastes great, particularly after I doubled the chilli powder. :persevere:

that chicken curry was based on this

I fried the onions with additional aromats; 4 green cardamom, 2 cloves, dried curry leaves and 3cm of cinnamon.

I used a small tin of tomatoes instead of fresh

One of the tastiest chicken curries I’ve cooked

Carrot Fry was here https://www.kannammacooks.com/tamilnadu-style-carrot-poriyal/

I chopped the carrots into 1cm dice instead of quite fine in the recipe

I didn’t both pre cooking the carrots, added 2 extra green chillies and I also added loads of

2 Likes

Cliffhanger!!! :weary:

I do really like her recipes- simple to cook and tasty

1 Like

I was thinking of growing fresh methi…simple to do from seeds apparently and you tend not to use a huge amount so I normally end up throwing out ancient ones and replacing rather than running out

If using dry methi, how much difference do I need to make to the quantity do you think, if any?

that chicken dish suggested 2tbls of fresh or 3 of dried.

I tend to use 150% of whatever the quantity of fresh is needed.

We’ve kept our dried for ages in an airtight container. I think it’s best before was 6 months ago, but we are still getting good flavour from it

2 Likes

Not sure, I normally search for a version of whatever I’m looking for with “kasuri methi”

1 Like