Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

40 years young, weighs 12lbs and operates beautifully with silent controls. It started a classic look for Audio Research preamps which lasted until recently but as a solid state piece was quite notorious. I’ll just say I’ve been listening to it for four hours now and I don’t want to turn it off… and I don’t have to!

10 Likes

I think they’re great speakers - just missed out on a pair myself so bought a pair of B&W DM110i’s for the princely sum of £25 and love 'em. :+1:

1 Like

So, whose Perreaux is going to turn up first today? Place your bets.

imagehttps://media.immediate.co.uk/volatile/sites/3/2017/10/14298625-low_res-louis-theroux-b9816f2.jpg?quality=45&crop=322px,116px,1233px,822px&resize=620,413

3 Likes

1 Like

They haven’t even got my old amps yet. New 225i won’t be in post until mid week.
I’ve got holes at home…

You could always buy a pair of vintage and class A Marantz monoblocks to tide you over until then :slightly_smiling_face:

Need to sell first :smirk:

Need revyuzzzz

You could try my Stello - as in this review

I might even be persuaded to sell it

Disaster mate, don’t do it, it sounds terrible :confounded:

:pray:t2:

:confused: or :hugs:

Don’t mess with me. It’s not a done deal yet. My amps are still at home and they are coming by five

Hah I’m just kidding mate :joy:

Diffferent presentation to the class A Marantz so still trying to get my head around it.

You can output straight from the preamp stage so I’ll do a comparison later with it plugged into the MA-5s

Initial impressions, very low noise and clear sound, tight bass grip. Maybe give away a little in overall dynamics and vocals to the MA-5s but I’ll need to do a proper comparison.

2 Likes

All amplifiers sound the same.

4 Likes

So many words.

So few pictures.

1 Like

But is it any good or not.

That’s what the world is waiting for.

(Well, maybe me and one or two causal observers)

2 Likes

Surprised there is room for it with all that vinyl you’ve been buying

3 Likes

Pleased to report that it sounds quite good and drives the dinky Fisher Price speakers to ear splitting volume without breaking up.

1 Like

Quite good is a bit… meh.