Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Heco Celan 300’s

1 Like

vta looks high ?

3 Likes

Does anybody know how to adjust the speed change mechanism on the 401 ?

It is difficult to change to 45 (I did switch the deck off before trying :slight_smile: ) and Impossible to get into 78 and I don’t want to force anything.

Also it is audibly noisy at 45 and silent at 33.

Any ideas, except for just listening at 33 ?

Ta

Could well be the pulley needs adjusting up or down on the motor spindle.

That’s what it looks like to the completely untrained eye. Also, looks like a spring doesn’t pull the idler wheel far enough back to get over the 78 lip on the motor spindle. Is it easy for a mechanical numpty to do ?

First thing is to make sure sure the top plate is spot level, not just close. When it’s off even by a bit the motor doesn’t hang true on its suspension and causes noise.

Second all bearing surfaces should be kept spotless. No grime or grease. Again noise and speed instability.

The cleaning may well free up the speed change problem.

Thanks for your input cc.

The top plate is plumb level. With the platter on, the motor does run silent at 33 but not at 45 and I can’t get (well, with reasonable pressure anyway, and I don’t want to force anything) into 78.

With the platter off, it’s silent at 33, easier to move into 45 but still a bit noisy and into 78 if you help it :confused:

Have you fully and completely released the transit clamp all the way down to the e-clips?

1 Like

Odd. Has it got a different idler wheel?

It should just rise and lower on the motor spindle.

I’m going from memory here as my 401 is at my daughter’s just now.

Ah, good thinking

It may need a spring set on the idler, I sold it to old mother Huber’d in full knowledge but may not’ve been done?

Don’t quite understand that, but I have fully released the one transit screw that I know (?) is a transit screw (extreme right screw on the top plate).

With the platter removed look down through the cut out in the chassis under the idler wheel. Here you will note the motor. In the 3 and 9 o’clock positions you will note two red headed screws. These are the screws of the transit clamp and they should be undone fully until you can turn them no further

No red headed screws I’m afraid

This is what I have -

Can’t see much there. Can you take a pic of the underside motor area?

This may show it a bit better

Only this -

Apparently, there was never a full transit clamp with it.