Shit you just learned (probably from the internet.)

I knew that Apone in Aliens had success as a soul artist, but I did NOT know that he played congas with the mighty Hawklords :laughing:

1 Like

Because I once had a tiny amount of laser treatment of my left retina DVLA require me to get my peripheral vision checked every so often. They licence a few practitioners in each area to carry out the procedure and they (DVLA) pay for it. My nearest one is my local Specsavers.

His was just a routine eye test for new glasses.

He asked if he was ok to continue driving and the optometrist said yes, youā€™ll be fine. I suspect if he was there for a specific check (requested by DVLA) they may have been a little more rigorous in their assessment.

1 Like

I suppose the only ;generalā€™ test is the one they use on the driving test.

ā€œCan you read a numberplate from 20 metres?ā€.

1 Like

I guess as long as he is wearing his glasses he would pass the number plate test?

Yeah, but only through one eye, the other one is fubar

The very end of the video makes me fucking sick. Human life obviously meant fuck all to those cunts.

The rest is very interesting.

Interesting story but I still donā€™t like him!

5 Likes

The railways always had a price for life. If repairs, etc cost x and reparation for a life was y and y was cheaper than x then thatā€™s how they worked.

Mind garden genesis

2 Likes

A la Ford Pintoā€¦

1 Like

I spent some time as the person responsible for a substantial ionising radiation generator. I did the 4-day NRPB (as it was then) Radiological Protection Supervisorā€™s course. The law (Ionising Radiation Regulations) was explicit about a lot of things but in some areas it said, for example, that radiation exposure must be kept absolutely within individualsā€™ dose limits and should otherwise be As Low As is Reasonably Practicable (ALARP). The people running the course were very coy about what ā€˜Reasonablyā€™ meant. Eventually, during a lunch break, I got one of them to own up to the UKAEA rule of thumb, which was (1990s) Ā£10,000 per man-sievert. Back then Ā£10,000 bought you a decent amount of concrete radiation shielding. But if the individualsā€™ doses were already very low you should stop spending on more shielding when you reached the Ā£10k/manSv point.

1 Like

unless you were in the RAF/Army/Navy in the 50s or 60s

Seems reasonable for the 90s. I suspect it will be more for less now.

Thatā€™s the strength of the safety case based risk management approach.

Ps. It worked for trains, spending money on new rollng stock has saved countless lives.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how far back the IRRs go - I worked mostly under the 1985 version but there were certainly controls before that. The responsibility of employers to keep their employees safe is more complicated when it comes to the military of course (as youā€™ll know much better than I !).

The train crashes of the 90s due to very poor maintenance of tracks was also a big turning point

They did, along with the signals being run on red at Paddington. The latter happened following rejection of a roll out of ATP, a decision that turned out to be correct. Money had been invested in New rolling stock instead, as well as a few other things. The 2007 Cumbria derailment of a pendilino at 95mph in 2007 was a vindication of this, only one person died. Fortunately we no longer have to depend on Parliament passing new regulations , often as a result of an angry public demanding something be done, following an accident in order to make many things we take for granted safer.

A risk based approach isnā€™t perfect, but itā€™s far better than a pure standards based approach where safety is only as good as the last accident.

1 Like

TIL that the stupid-ass socket (and associated stupid-ass cable) on the back of my offboard USB drives is not ā€œUSB 3ā€, thatā€™s the protocol level.

It is a USB 3.0 Type-B micro.

Niche, lads, niche.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve got a few WD external drives that have them

2 Likes